Frankenstein YJ, TJ, Ford 8.8, GM 350, and tranmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
The price certify isn't that bad. No way I'd want leaf springs again though... never, ever.

Still, for the price it's definitely not bad.

The price certify isn't that bad. No way I'd want leaf springs again though... never, ever.

Still, for the price it's definitely not bad.
Yeah, it looks priced to move. I haven’t driven anything with leaf springs in ages!

Yeah, it looks priced to move. I haven’t driven anything with leaf springs in ages!

The last thing I drove with leaf springs was my 2001 Cherokee. Granted it only had lead springs in the rear, I remember it being a much harsher ride. That could possibly be attributed to more than just leaf springs of course. However, I know that coil springs in general are always a much, much better idea than leaf springs.

That's my biggest gripe with the YJ aside from the square headlights. Truth be told, I actually like the dashboard in the YJ better than the TJ!

Reactions: mots
Nice looking rig. If it is local, may be worth looking at it more closely.
Yeah, only 50 miles from me. If it is as well done as it looks, and I went to go see it, I am afraid of what could happen! There is some wealth in the Ann Arbor area and you never know what folks are willing to part with for pennies on the dollar. I’m not a YJ guy, and don’t know the tricks of the trade with them, so I figured I’d post and ask. The upgrades and mods look well done at first glance. And if the Jeep is as rust free as he says, that really adds to the appeal here in the rust belt area.

Perhaps someone else in the area may be interested? I’d be happy to meet up and go look it. It would be safer for me if I wasn’t the potential buyer, LOL.

My son has a 89 YJ. It was a good Jeep. The ride is a bit rougher and I never liked the dash but it is fully a jeep. Glad they put the round lights in it. Rectangular lights were a bit disturbing to look at.

The last thing I drove with leaf springs was my 2001 Cherokee. Granted it only had lead springs in the rear, I remember it being a much harsher ride. That could possibly be attributed to more than just leaf springs of course. However, I know that coil springs in general are always a much, much better idea than leaf springs.

That's my biggest gripe with the YJ aside from the square headlights. Truth be told, I actually like the dashboard in the YJ better than the TJ!

Yeah, I agree. At least they lost the square headlights on this one!

Looks like a nightmare to work on. That is someones project, and however nice it looks, who knows what is lurking underneath. What year SBC? How did they get they swap the TJ clip on? the hoods are different at the cowl...so is it a TJ hood or a YJ hood? Electrical? Who knows...

Looks like a nightmare to work on. That is someones project, and however nice it looks, who knows what is lurking underneath. What year SBC? How did they get they swap the TJ clip on? the hoods are different at the cowl...so is it a TJ hood or a YJ hood? Electrical? Who knows...
That is exactly why I likely wouldn’t buy it. You would have to be ready to “take over” the project as lead engineer and mechanic. If I could pick it up for 5k, I would be up for that challenge. 10k, probably not!

I have heard about the TJ font clip on a YJ before, so it must be somewhat common. The 8.8 is somewhat common, and the 350 swap is fairly common. But all together? Yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.