Front axle pinion offset

bty34

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking at aftermarket axle housings, very few list pinion offset dimensions. Ideally they would all give a spec sheet like below from Dana for the JK 44.

Screenshot_20220216-175903.png

With that, how much change can the average TJ tolerate here? Measuring my HP30, I'm getting the same 8 1/2" of offset from centerline as Dana is showing for the JK44, which matches up with people not having many issues with them and drive shaft clearance.

For comparisons sake, I made the below diagram based on my 4" lifted TJ, stock track bar locations and centered axle. With 6" of uptravel, my driveshaft should shift .69" towards the centerline of the jeep as it reaches full bump. In the shaded area is an approximation of the stock setup. 4" lower ride height, axle side in the same horizontal position and an assumed 5" of uptravel, which may be a little high. In this case the horizontal movement during uptravel is relatively limited.

unnamed.png

For my actual question, those with aftermarket housings, do you stick with the stock 8.5" offset? If you come across a 62" WMS housing with superduty outers and coil buckets, the pinion is likely closer to 6.5" due to packaging on the driver side. Is that automatically a no go? I don't see many at higher lift heights cheating the axle off center at ride height for driveshaft clearance at full bump. Is it less of an issue that I am thinking, or are people just not checking?