Front bump stop extension on top v.s. bottom

97' 4 Popper

Opened a Can of Worms
Supporting Member
I have a question concerning extending the bump stops up front. We know that adding bump stop to the bottom at the front spring perch is the best way to go as the jounces have that habit of hitting the spring coils at full droop

I am in the process of doing a 3 inch lift on the front, my Jeep will not be going offroad so is it still worth it to go through the effort of drilling the spring perch? One of the PO's had welded on about a 3/8ths inch pad on top of the spring perch, meaning that finding the center would be hard now (factory dimple points are now covered up) and I would have to drill through that much more material in a tight spot. I only have one drill gun that is powerful enough to go though thick metal and it is unwieldy. I also suck at tapping threads so I would have to slip a nut behind if I went this route.

Me thinks this is unnecessary for a highway going vehicle that will almost never see that much droop, but I wanted to get a sanity check and hear what others have to say.

You can do 1 inch of extension on the upper cup, more than that and you will experience annoying coil twang when off road.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
You can do 1 inch of extension on the upper cup, more than that and you will experience annoying coil twang when off road.

Okay, I haven't started cycling yet but based on what I read I think I need 1.5-2 inches of bumpstops for my Rancho Rs55239 with 32s. Subtract the 3/8ths weld on bumpstop, and that puts me just a little past the ideal amount.