Front calipers dragging

Schwarz81

I noticed my front calipers where dragging so i decided to replace the calipers, rotors, pads and the soft lines from the frame to the caliper. Originally I thought my calipers were bad which is why I replaced everything but there must be something else wrong. I've bled the brakes multiple times even flushed the old fluid but my front calipers are still dragging. What else should I be looking at that could cause the sticking? I pump bled and gravity bled the brakes numerous times and still no improvement. Could it be the proportioning valve or master cylinder or booster? Also, when i bleed the brakes the peddle clearly gets stiffer but once I start the jeep, peddle goes soft.

I noticed my front calipers where dragging so i decided to replace the calipers, rotors, pads and the soft lines from the frame to the caliper. Originally I thought my calipers were bad which is why I replaced everything but there must be something else wrong. I've bled the brakes multiple times even flushed the old fluid but my front calipers are still dragging. What else should I be looking at that could cause the sticking? I pump bled and gravity bled the brakes numerous times and still no improvement. Could it be the proportioning valve or master cylinder or booster? Also, when i bleed the brakes the peddle clearly gets stiffer but once I start the jeep, peddle goes soft.
What are the symptoms that make you think they are dragging?
What do you mean by pedal goes soft? Specifically?

Originally I noticed an excessive amount of brake dust on my front wheels so I jacked up the front end, spun the front wheels and could feel resistance when spun. That's why I replaced everything. When I bleed the brakes, the pedal becomes stiff and I barely have to press the pedal to feel resistance. Then I start the vehicle and the brake pedal immediately becomes softer and requires greater pressure. Even after i bleed the brakes i can spin the front wheel and there is no resistance but once i start the jeep and press the brakes then I feel the dragging. And the amount of brake dust on the wheels is crazy excessive.

The vacuum booster will make the pedal feel softer and increase pedal travel when you start the engine. So that sounds likely normal. Excessive dust means nothing except the brake pads generate a lot of dust.

If your brakes work properly when you need to stop, calipers are probably not dragging.

Originally I noticed an excessive amount of brake dust on my front wheels so I jacked up the front end, spun the front wheels and could feel resistance when spun. That's why I replaced everything. When I bleed the brakes, the pedal becomes stiff and I barely have to press the pedal to feel resistance. Then I start the vehicle and the brake pedal immediately becomes softer and requires greater pressure. Even after i bleed the brakes i can spin the front wheel and there is no resistance but once i start the jeep and press the brakes then I feel the dragging. And the amount of brake dust on the wheels is crazy excessive.
Jack up the front. Turn the wheels by hand to gauge the resistance. Pull the vacuum line off of the booster, reinstall it and without touching anything else, check the tires to see if the amount of resistance to turn them changed.

Then again without touching anything else, start the motor and check the tires again.

If there is a change anywhere, that points to a booster problem.

will do. The vacuum line blew off the booster last year when i had an engine misfire at startup. Obviously I replaced the vacuum line and have had no further misfire issues but would that have anything to do with the brake issue?

There should be a bit of drag on the rotor when disk brakes are functioning properly. There is no return spring on them. Brake dust is mostly a question of the brake pad material. Are there any discoloration on the rotor to indicate the calipers are sticking? Is the drag about the same between the 2 sides?

Jack up the front. Turn the wheels by hand to gauge the resistance. Pull the vacuum line off of the booster, reinstall it and without touching anything else, check the tires to see if the amount of resistance to turn them changed.

Then again without touching anything else, start the motor and check the tires again.

If there is a change anywhere, that points to a booster problem.
Hey Blaine, I did as you said and there was no change in resistance. Master cylinder or proportioning valve issue?