Front Dana 44 locker selection advice

rjaym

Supporting Member
Got my revolution 5:38 gears and have decided to use an auburn gear ECT locker in rear. Need input on what to run in front - I know what I DON’T want - airactuated, spool or ,trutrac.
I’m currently running 4:56 and trutracs f/r. Honestly trutrac in rear seems to satisfy my needs thus far. But takes some foot work to get the front to bite if “3 wheeling”.
This is on LJR / AT on 35” tires and WARN manual hubs

Not to get off topic please—-My reason for auburn unit is US made unit and I’m partial to supporting this company and town ( we have Auburn cars in our family and support the ACD museum)

curious what front axle you are running and whether you will use 4wd on pavement in snowy conditions. I’ve had the following front lockers: ARB, Yukon Grizzly, Aussie, and Spartan. No complaints with any of these lockers.

Just so you know, if that's the ECTED you selected for the rear, it's really just a clutch-based LSD that just gives the clutch pack a tighter fit when locked. It CAN slip in many offroad situations. And when that clutch goes out you'll have to send it in to be rebuilt. That is the last locker I would choose, mainly because it's not a true slip-proof locker.

And for the front that really depends on how much snow or ice you see up there in NorCal. If you see much I'd go for a selectable locker up front. If you would never drive it on icy or snow covered roads or trails you could go for a lunchbox locker.

the front axle is a typical Dana 44 found in a Jeep rubicon.
JB - I wasn’t aware of that locking action - not what I’m wanting for sure.
I was looking at the application guide seems open to lock is not available for Dana 44. Only the lsd to lock - odd they don’t offer “ true locker” like they do for Dana 60. - no clear explanation of how that operates.
I don’t do much snow wheeling but my last rig had lunchbox type lockers f/r so I’m familiar with the pluses and minuses of them.
My logic is I really don’t like the idea of switches / wires etc. I could be convinced to run a Detroit style f/r - just seems most folks with streetable Jeeps run some sort of selectable version. If the general consensus is the Dana 44 front and rear ( with chromo axles) are up to the task of locker on street - I’m keen to run Detroit style.
Meaning Yukon / Detroit/ etc. prefer us made unit. rj