Front Drive Shaft Rubbing Hole Through Exhaust

Blaine and toximus are on the right track. The exhaust has lots of room for adjustment where it meets the exhaust flange. it can swing too far and be in the way of the driveshaft. I seriously doubt the axle is that far off-center to be the cause of this contact. It's not the springs or shocks. The driveshaft and exhaust shouldn't contact each other at any point of the suspension travel, regardless of springs or shocks. Loosen the bolts, swing it toward the oil pan, tighten the bolts. Best way to get to them is a 15mm ratcheting wrench or 3/8 drive short 15mm socket with a few long extensions.

Reactions: Blondie70
Blaine and toximus are on the right track. The exhaust has lots of room for adjustment where it meets the exhaust flange. it can swing too far and be in the way of the driveshaft. I seriously doubt the axle is that far off-center to be the cause of this contact. It's not the springs or shocks. The driveshaft and exhaust shouldn't contact each other at any point of the suspension travel, regardless of springs or shocks. Loosen the bolts, swing it toward the oil pan, tighten the bolts. Best way to get to them is a 15mm ratcheting wrench or 3/8 drive short 15mm socket with a few long extensions.

No, it happens. Read my previous post. Regardless of how close to the pan the pre-cats are, some exhaust systems (indeed the only ones available in CA) may be hit by the driveshaft.

No, it happens. Read my previous post. Regardless of how close to the pan the pre-cats are, some exhaust systems (indeed the only ones available in CA) may be hit by the driveshaft.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but in this context, that does not look like a new downpipe. This is a new problem that occurred after recent exhaust work.

I had the tie rods and track bar replaced well after the muffler was replaced. But I will try to move the exhaust system towards the drivers side. Does anyone know what the clearance between the down pipe and shaft should be? My Jeep is all stock.

Last edited:
You could just swing it as far towards the oil pan as it will go and have a good chance of it not hitting. Or, if you want to be totally sure, you can take the springs out and jack up the axle and check clearance, which is a lot more work.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but in this context, that does not look like a new downpipe. This is a new problem that occurred after recent exhaust work.
If you go back to the exhaust pipe just in front of the skid on the right side and put a pipe wrench on it, you can move the down pipe next to the oil pan. In this case, when they cut the pipe loose to stick a new muffler in, it likely let the down pipe move away from the oil pan some. The issue is compounded by the new trackbar and the possibility that the axle centered was not centered properly afterwards.

There is a big problem with new down pipes in that they don't have the same little kinks in them by the driveshaft yoke for clearance that the OEM exhaust has.