Front Drive Shaft Vibrations

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Been dealing with some vibes. Installed SYE and Adam's rear DC D-S. Helped a ton but not perfect. Jeep drives around town and off road fine but really hate it on the highway.
Today I pulled the front driveshaft that looked alot like a piece of pipe from a submerged ship and Holly crap what a difference. Thinking of ordering an Adam's D-S instead of sending this rusted piece of crap out to be rebuilt.
Does this sound like a solid plan or should I be looking at other things that could cause the vibes even though they are gone when the front d/s is disconnected?

Did the vibes just show up out of nowhere or gradually start, or did it coincide with work or modification done to the Jeep?

They existed from the day I bought the Jeep with a 2" BB lift. I installed a 4" lift with the DC rear and it was better but not great. I also replaced all U joints about a year ago except for front D/S U joints.

They existed from the day I bought the Jeep with a 2" BB lift. I installed a 4" lift with the DC rear and it was better but not great. I also replaced all U joints about a year ago except for front D/S U joints.

OK could be a few things then. U joints or centering ball could be shot, could be bad pinion angle (too much caster). The centering ball has a stud that isn't cheaply replaceable so if that's bad people usually just replace the shaft anyway.

Reactions: Hopper
Did the vibes just show up out of nowhere or gradually start, or did it coincide with work or modification done to the Jeep?

OK could be a few things then. U joints or centering ball could be shot, could be bad pinion angle (too much caster). The centering ball has a stud that isn't cheaply replaceable so if that's bad people usually just replace the shaft anyway.
Thanks. I will install the new shaft and if I still have vibes I can adjust the camber and pinion angle. This gives me a few things to look at appreciate it 👍

Getting a new DS is not needed. Just replace the DS ujoints which likely is the issue. Failing DS ujoints will cause rotational vibes and noise which normally increases with speed. You should be able to grab the front DS and shake it up-down, side-side to check for any play.

Getting a new DS is not needed. Just replace the DS ujoints which likely is the issue. Failing DS ujoints will cause rotational vibes and noise which normally increases with speed. You should be able to grab the front DS and shake it up-down, side-side to check for any play.
Ordered an Adam's already.