Front drive train noise

jsc83

Hey folks, just looking for a sanity check on this. I have a 2002, 4.0L, 5sp Wrangler with a clanking noise in the front axle. The noise is definitely associated with the axle/wheel rotation. Frequency changes with speed. Seems to go away over 30 mph.
I changed the u-joints for a different problem and replaced the bearings while I was in the neighborhood. Now I'm trying to track down the clanking. In 2WD, I know the front wheels are full time locked in, so the axles turn in the diff while the car is moving. Should the front drive shaft also rotate? I'm thinking that it should. If that's true, then the front driveline would be free wheeling in the t-case until it's locked in during 4WD operation.
I think I've eliminated the transmission at this point. Just need some info to keep hunting.
Thanks for the help.

Where I'd look is...
The front DS...and all the joints with it....

What u-joints in the axles did you use? (Brand)
And how old are they?

When engaged in 4wd if the noise is in fact associated with those components the noise will change in some way.

Thanks guys, as I was typing my question, I realized I never did try it in 4WD. I'll do that this evening.
I used NAPA bearings and u-joints in the pieces I replaced.

Thanks guys, as I was typing my question, I realized I never did try it in 4WD. I'll do that this evening.
I used NAPA bearings and u-joints in the pieces I replaced.
Ok...
There are two napa versions.
Their "house" brand which is the same piss poor quality as all other "house" brands.
Advance(driveworks) , zone (duralast), O'Reilly,(masterwrench or whatever they're calling it these days) etc.

Then there is their premium line right on par with Moog, Timken, National, etc etc.

Napa "proformer" is their lower line house brand