Front driveshaft help

b0xcar

TJ Enthusiast
I pulled the front shaft a week ago. I've been driving the jeep with the shaft removed. I finally got around to replacing the ujoints and cv joint. I'm trying to bolt the shaft back up and it's coming up a little short.

20190124_174000.jpg

What did I screw up or are there any tricks to getting this shaft back on?

Probably just collapsed down. There are splines on the shaft that allow the driveshaft to extend or collapse. Just pull on that end to get it to extend and fit back in the yoke

The grease inside the splined slip joint is likely just cold enough that it's stiff and has a grip on the splines. Just use a little muscle to pull it out enough to bolt into place.

The grease inside the splined slip joint is likely just cold enough that it's stiff and has a grip on the splines. Just use a little muscle to pull it out enough to bolt into place.
I used all the muscle I had... so much that it gave me a headache. Lol

I just cut the boot off. Gave it a few good taps with a hammer. I have enough movement now to get this thing back on. Am I ok to run this with no boot?

Slip joint most likely needs serviced/replaced. Normally that’s done when changing the u-joints.

If the slip yoke does not telescope a couple of inches freely by hand then it must be addressed.