Front driveshaft question

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
I have another newbie question to ask the experts here. The front driveshaft of my 2000 Wrangler went out and it has been removed by a garage, I was wondering if the front driveshaft has to be to your Jeep’s specifications or is it a one size fits all situatio? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll say keep specific unless your jeep and a stock. Then any other TJ front shaft will work, for the most part

I have another newbie question to ask the experts here. The front driveshaft of my 2000 Wrangler went out and it has been removed by a garage, I was wondering if the front driveshaft has to be to your Jeep’s specifications or is it a one size fits all situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
They vary a few ways, like if your TJ has an automatic the front driveshaft has to have a slightly smaller diameter to clear the transmission pan. You can drive without the front driveshaft installed while you figure out how to proceed.

Be aware that many garages will often charge WAY WAY more for things like driveshafts that you can buy better quality for less $$$ from other sources. Like from Tom Wood's people at www.4xshaft.com

They vary a few ways, like if your TJ has an automatic the front driveshaft has to have a slightly smaller diameter to clear the transmission pan. You can drive without the front driveshaft installed while you figure out how to proceed.

Be aware that many garages will often charge WAY WAY more for things like driveshafts that you can buy better quality for less $$$ from other sources. Like from Tom Wood's people at www.4xshaft.com
Thanks for the reply but here’s the info. My Jeep has 1 1/2 in. body lift and 31” tires. Plus it is an automatic, so if I were to buy the driveshaft myself what specifics would I need to be able to buy it myself and have it fit my Jeep?

Thanks for the reply but here’s the info. My Jeep has 1 1/2 in. body lift and 31” tires. Plus it is an automatic, so if I were to buy the driveshaft myself what specifics would I need to be able to buy it myself and have it fit my Jeep?
Call the guys at www.4xshaft.com. They are super helpful and will give you all the info you need.

Reactions: Weasellee
Call Tom Wood's people who are extremely knowledgeable about Jeeps. (877) 497-4238. Once you tell them you have a 2000 with an automatic they'll know everything they need to know. Your body lift doesn't affect anything, they would just be interested if your TJ has a suspension lift which it doesn't sound like it does. The main reason I like them is their pre and post-sales support is unsurpassed.

If you talk with Tom, you'll be speaking with the master himself... SUCH a nice guy. Or Shawn, his son who is taking over with Tom now being semi-retired. If you think about it, tell them I sent you... they have done me some big favors over the past 20 years. I do recommend one thing... ask them to use Spicer 5-1310x u-joints, which they will if you ask for them. That's a superb u-joint that will outlast anything out there and is a stronger and more durable upgrade over the more basic u-joint Spicer the factory installed. Bonus, you'll get a cool bumper sticker saying "My shaft's a Woody!"

Agree with those recommending a specialty shop. I've had positive experience with Tatton (on eBay--he built my front driveshaft) and Adams Driveshaft who built my rear driveshaft. Tatton turned out local to me so I picked it up in his shop. I have no reluctance recommending both of them.

Agree with those recommending a specialty shop. I've had positive experience with Tatton (on eBay--he built my front driveshaft) and Adams Driveshaft who built my rear driveshaft. Tatton turned out local to me so I picked it up in his shop. I have no reluctance recommending both of them.
I've put Adams driveshafts into my TJ & JKU, I'm super happy with them and they've also been very helpful on the phone. Plus Bleepin Jeep has a fantastic coupon for them. You're not going to go wrong with either place though.

I'm reaching the final Tummy Tuck stages and have a UCF Ultra High TC skid and the SYE kit from Advance Adapters waiting to be installed... based on above replies, all Tom Woods' personnel need to know is that my TJ is an '06, 6-speed standard transmission with a 2.5" lift and they'll prep the proper DD rear differential length?

I'm reaching the final Tummy Tuck stages and have a UCF Ultra High TC skid and the SYE kit from Advance Adapters waiting to be installed... based on above replies, all Tom Woods' personnel need to know is that my TJ is an '06, 6-speed standard transmission with a 2.5" lift and they'll prep the proper DD rear differential length?
Go to their website and measure as per the detailed instructions. Measure after SYE amd TT install therefore all is smooth.

I got a Tom Wood rear driveshaft this year, can vouch for how solid they are! It arrived 2-3 days after ordering too. I did have my front rebuilt tho, found a shop that did it for $250 with spicer ujoints, so it can be worth the time to call around and ask…

Reactions: Jeep 541X
Thanks a ton, guys! I'll hold off on ordering the new DD driveshaft until exact measurements have been taken.
I would say call them and see what they say. They're a wealth of info and deal with guys like us all the time. I wished I had called Adams beforehand, they told me how to get the right measurement before I had completed the SYE, would've saved me several days of waiting.

Reactions: Jeep 541X