Front end overhaul shopping list help

rdu-jeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am going to be overhauling the front end. 2001 TJ Sport with 208,000 miles and I don't know when this was ever done as I purchased it at just over 200k.

Replacing tie rod, ends, drag link, universal joints, bearing and hub assembly, and ball joints. Steering stabilizer already replaced when I did my OME lift install.

Am I missing anything that should be replaced at the same time? Inner axle seals do not appear to be leaking.

Below is my shopping list gathered from various threads here. Please let me know if you think anything is missing before I pull the trigger!
and tools:

I think that pretty much covers the front end! Besides control arms of course. Check the brake pads while you're in there.

I'm not familiar with the tools you listed but would recommend the OTC 7248 press and OTC 7894 adapter set. To remove TREs you don't really need that fancy kit... I'd just google this site for tips and tricks.

Reactions: rdu-jeep
Perhaps the sway bar links and mount bushings are in need of attention also?

So I'm good on the parts but I'm still having trouble deciding which tools I am going to need.

I did look for the OTC parts RubiconRic posted in this thread but only found one of them and it was only sockets.

Is this overkill or not needed? This is what I pieced together from reading other front end steering threads.
You don't need anything that elaborate

This is all you need.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018754973...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Use them every week in our shop.

And all you need for the puller is this..
https://www.quadratec.com/products/92810_205.htm
Lastly get one of these...

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...joint-from-connecting-links-w1206p/11506072-P
When replacing a TRE just beat the fork on. Who cares if it ruins the boot. You're replacing it anyways. It's quick..joint pops out.

(Yes you can hammer the knuckle by the joint but if you're replacing the joint pound the pickle fork on.

Those three items are all you will ever need on the TJ.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
A 1/2" drive torque wrench that can do up to 200#. The axle nut and pitman arm will need a bit of torque. Also a 33mm and a 36mm socket for above mentioned.

What am I missing? I thought I had it all.

Do I need another tie rod end to connect to the pitman arm or is that a different part?

Do I need another adjustment collar for the right side (bottom of pic based on how it's displaying) or do I have this laid out wrong?

PXL_20210725_153059721.jpg

Yes, you need another TRE.
Yes, you need another adj. collar.
You have it laid out correctly.
Is your steering stabilizer in good shape? Planning to reuse it?

Yes, you need another TRE.
Yes, you need another adj. collar.
You have it laid out correctly.
Is your steering stabilizer in good shape? Planning to reuse it?
Steering stabilizer is less than a year old, OME I put on with my lift kit.

Thanks for the confirmation on the parts!

Reactions: SvtLdr