Front light requirements?

Shaydon15

CB186DEF-0ED0-4415-87D7-E7259A89DB47.jpeg

Does anyone know if I can remove this black fender and just have the front light? Or do I have to have the side light to be road legal? My wheel loses so much clearance because of the black fender and I kinda just want to get rid of it.

Technically I am pretty sure we are supposed to have it in Colorado, but I see Jeeps without flares around town all the time. Your are not supposed to remove any safety equipment the vehicle had when manufactured and I think lights constitute safety equipment. Since most of the cars I see have expired plates I wouldn't worry about it too much, however if a cop needs a reason to pull you over for something else, you are giving them one. Same goes with the 3rd brake light. When I had to remove the factory 3rd brake light to fit my bigger spare I replaced it with an aftermarket one since it is a piece of safety equipment the car was manufactured with, so I wouldn't give them a reason, however my cracked windshield gives them a reason anyway.

Colorado statute;
(3) Side marker lamps.  (a) Every motor vehicle or motor-drawn vehicle or combination of such vehicles which exceeds thirty feet in overall length shall be equipped with four side marker lamps located as follows:

(I) One on each side near the front displaying an amber light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the side of the vehicle on which it is located;
(II) One on each side near the rear displaying a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the side of the vehicle on which it is located;  but the rear marker light shall not be so placed as to be visible from the front of the vehicle.

Reactions: J.Pierce