Front Locker Problem

Chris G

TJ Enthusiast
I seem to be having a problem with the front locker on my 03 TJR. when I flick the switch, the rear locker will engage as it’s supposed to, but the front light continues to blink, presumably without engaging.

I took some photos under the skid plate of what may be a seperate or may be a related problem.

23FD152F-FCD4-48EB-9E9B-3D6A81C3F062.jpeg
EFD0FBD8-786A-49F9-ADD6-A0968C9690CD.jpeg

Can anyone lend some advice to the locker issue as well as what this wire is supposed to be attached to?

I will have the diff covers off next week to change the oil and replace the cover. Let me know if I should be looking at anything in there as well.

Thanks for the help.

That piece of tubing in your hand is the air line going to your diff. Does the pump run when you turn it on?
I thought that tube was supposed to go to the diff, but there is another piece of tubing coming out of the other side of the pump that appears to go all the way there.

I haven’t checked if the pump runs when I turn the switch on yet. Guess that should be the next step.

The fatter hose is the intake for both pumps (one pump for each diff). It runs up along the gas filler hose. The smaller hoses feed the lockers.

If that’s one inlet tube, it should connect to a T with the other pump’s . If you trace both ends it should be easy to spot what’s missing.

That wouldn’t really explain why the front may not engage though unless the tube is clogged. The pump may be bad, there may be an obstruction in the line somewhere, or the sensor isn’t reading engagement - which isn’t really a big deal unless you don’t like blinking lights.

Are you sure the front doesn't engage? I've always had mine flash even when the locker is actually engaged. Locker works, sensor works, but somewhere between the sensor and the instrument cluster, there is a fault.

Jack the front axle up and see if it is actually locking

There is two pumps down there, one for the front and one for the back. The larger hose comes down from the breather located at the fuel filler neck and tee's off to feed both. The pumps are identical and the way they're mounted the outlet tubing for one is on the back side and the other pump outlet is on the front side. The tubing runs from each pump through a split loom along the driver side frame to the front and back diffs. If that tube in your hand isn't hooked to anything, one of your lockers won't work.