Front spring sag

CptnMurica

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
After I put on my winch seems my clearance was reduced in front. I seen on one of the threads 12” on the coils. Measured just under 11”. I need all the height junior can get over here. So what, new springs, spacers maybe both? Just stock suspension and I have the 0-1”rs5000x. I’m thinking this isnt an exact science.

After I put on my winch seems my clearance was reduced in front. I seen on one of the threads 12” on the coils. Measured just under 11”. I need all the height junior can get over here. So what, new springs, spacers maybe both? Just stock suspension and I have the 0-1”rs5000x. I’m thinking this isnt an exact science.
The front will always sag when a winch is installed; how much would depend upon the condition and design of the springs.
Installation of spacers would certainly be the cheapest.

Reactions: CptnMurica
Yup, to get back to stock height you'll need new springs, spacers, or both. Keep in mind that the front end sits a little lower than the rear in a stock setup, which is called "forward rake". A lot of Jeepers prefer the look when the front sits at about 12.75" (0.75" higher than stock), while the rear sits at its stock height of 8".

Those Rancho shocks you have will be fine if you get springs that get you back to 12–12.75". But yes, choosing what springs will get you that exact height is going to be tricky. Others on here will have better recommendations than I do.

Yup, to get back to stock height you'll need new springs, spacers, or both. Keep in mind that the front end sits a little lower than the rear in a stock setup, which is called "forward rake". A lot of Jeepers prefer the look when the front sits at about 12.75" (0.75" higher than stock), while the rear sits at its stock height of 8".

Those Rancho shocks you have will be fine if you get springs that get you back to 12–12.75". But yes, choosing what springs will get you that exact height is going to be tricky. Others on here will have better recommendations than I do.
My thinking. Would be nice to alleviate and maybe capture that 1” to shock or close. The little rake is fine.

Those Rancho shocks are over an inch longer than stock, that combined with 1" less ride height means you have very little travel left on your suspension. In my opinion you need about 2" of lift to even get back to factory up travel on those Rancho shocks. Even at stock height those shocks don't give you the greatest suspension travel because of their length. It's unfortunate that there really aren't many good aftermarket shocks available for the 0-1" suspension crowd but the market just isn't there. If you want to stick with Rancho shocks I'd be looking for at least a 1.5-2" spring lift. Spacers will work and you'll be just fine if you take it easy, just be aware if you haven't set new bump stops on those shocks in the front they might be bottoming out.

Reactions: SSTJ
Those Rancho shocks are over an inch longer than stock, that combined with 1" less ride height means you have very little travel left on your suspension. In my opinion you need about 2" of lift to even get back to factory up travel on those Rancho shocks. Even at stock height those shocks don't give you the greatest suspension travel because of their length. It's unfortunate that there really aren't many good aftermarket shocks available for the 0-1" suspension crowd but the market just isn't there. If you want to stick with Rancho shocks I'd be looking for at least a 1.5-2" spring lift. Spacers will work and you'll be just fine if you take it easy, just be aware if you haven't set new bump stops on those shocks in the front they might be bottoming out.
I just put all new jounces in. Wonder if I could just put in 1” spacers and call it the day? I’m not prone to taking it easy. But I don’t abuse it. I wheel a lot. The picture is flat ground front. Looks like just a couple inches from making contact. :/

FF7E9426-3672-4E0D-B8E7-BF85CE37C6EB.jpeg

Last edited:
You don't have much travel there, worst case you blow the shocks if your bump stops aren't correct. Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned, it wont leave you stranded or anything. I wouldn't hesitate to run spacers and wheel it knowing the only real risk is the shock.

I just put all new jounces in. Wonder if I could just put in 1” spacers and call it the day? I’m not prone to taking it easy. But I don’t abuse it. I wheel a lot. The picture is flat ground front. Looks like just a couple inches from making contact. :/

View attachment 307940
measure from the jounce cup, not the yellow marshmallow thing in there, that'll tell you how much travel you have between the two

measure from the jounce cup, not the yellow marshmallow thing in there, that'll tell you how much travel you have between the two
Looks close to 3” from bottum of cup. I just put these shocks on 3 months ago. Been at it real hard everything seems to be in order. Less my inherited sag issue now.

B0836A92-3B01-4C21-9B12-513170D5C7DA.jpeg

Looks close to 3” from bottum of cup. I just put these shocks on 3 months ago. Been at it real hard everything seems to be in order. Less my inherited sag issue now.
3 inches isn't enough, if memory serves I believe 4 inches is how it came out of the factory.

And when you say 'just stock suspension' up above are you also saying it's still the original springs? If so they're probably sagging anyway at this point & the winch isn't helping. If it were me I'd skip the spacers & just grab a new set of springs, if you want to add lift and/or level things out then incorporate that into the spring choice.

3 inches isn't enough, if memory serves I believe 4 inches is how it came out of the factory.

And when you say 'just stock suspension' up above are you also saying it's still the original springs? If so they're probably sagging anyway at this point & the winch isn't helping. If it were me I'd skip the spacers & just grab a new set of springs, if you want to add lift and/or level things out then incorporate that into the spring choice.
Only had for a year. But I’m assuming stock springs yes.

Bought my TJ all stock in '17. Swapped the winch, jack and tow bar from my YJ and noticed the sag. Added a set of 1" spacers to the front and never looked back. Jeep sits level and rides no different than my kid's all stock TJ did. I didn't see the need to change the shocks since all I was doing was bringing the thing back up to stock height.

I found some h r springs gonna give them a shot and see. Supposed to add 1”. If everything I read is true should be fine.

59409ECF-7A3B-40CF-9382-982B52FAD907.png

Reactions: SSTJ