Front suspension / steering question

Cbrianroll

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve been reading about pitman arms so I went out to look at mine, it is dropped. Then I noticed another bar I don’t see in the diagram from 4x4explorer. Is this an added item and is this a drop bracket or stock?
Thanks!
57986C6F-819F-4314-8CA4-37427138D69F.jpeg

If you have 6" or so spring lift dropping the pitman and trackbar pivot is ok if the drops are equal. If less then both should be back in the factory spot.

The key here is moving them both equally.

Cool, thanks, it looks like I need to remove the drop bracket and order a stock pitman arm.
It's hard to see what's going on with the driver's side track bar mounting bracket, the camera exposure has washed out that area. It might just be an aftermarket bracket without a drop. Notice the brightly lit lower area is properly exposed, the area we need to see is not and it's simply because the camera is pointed more at the brighter ground level area.

Can you take and post another photo with the camera pointed directly at that upper area so it calculates its exposure for the darker area the Pitman arm and track bar mounting bracket are located in? Turning the flash on while doing that would produce a much easier to interpret photo.

Reactions: mudmaster
Thanks, it’s a 4in lift. I went down the rabbit hole of the pitman arm issue on lifts…I need to replace the bent tie rod too and noticed that brace and bracket ..😕

Are you experiencing any driveability issues or are you just trying to replace the dropped pitman arm because you read they are bad?

It looks like you might cause more issues than you'd solve if you replaced the pitman arm with stock but didn't address the dropped track bar bracket as well. Just want to make sure you know what you're getting into. Most here would recommend returning to a full stock geometry setup in 90% of cases.

There are steering issues with it. PO told me, and my drive was not too cool lol. Plan is to return to stock and go from there…

It's hard to see what's going on with the driver's side track bar mounting bracket, the camera exposure has washed out that area. It might just be an aftermarket bracket without a drop. Notice the brightly lit lower area is properly exposed, the area we need to see is not and it's simply because the camera is pointed more at the brighter ground level area.

Can you take and post another photo with the camera pointed directly at that upper area so it calculates its exposure for the darker area the Pitman arm and track bar mounting bracket are located in? Turning the flash on while doing that would produce a much easier to interpret photo.

How’s this…

FAE92AFE-2A5E-4774-84E9-0962AB94E9FD.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford