Front track bar bracket hole is distorted

BlueRidge304

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Flag nut broke while removing OEM front track bar. I tried to get a 15mm wrench in from the drivers side but couldn't get it to bite - bolt & nut kept spinning. I am replacing the track bar with an OEM equivalent (Moog DS1235) so ended up cutting through the old rubber bushing, bolt sleeve, and bolt in order to preserve the mount. I tried to be careful with the cutting blade but ended up getting into the backside of the mount a little and the hole is now slightly distorted.
I am not sure if this is an application for a lock washer & regular nut, so ordered the ARP bolt and heavy duty flag nut from @mrblaine. I'd like some advice on the back mount hole. Is it ok to install the new bolt & flag nut despite the back hole being slightly distorted? Will the two sides of the mount still be able to clamp to the end of the bolt sleeve and stop it from moving with the back hole like this?

tb1.jpg

tb2.jpg

tb3.jpg

tb4.jpg

Flag nut broke while removing OEM front track bar. I tried to get a 15mm wrench in from the drivers side but couldn't get it to bite - bolt & nut kept spinning. I am replacing the track bar with an OEM equivalent (Moog DS1235) so ended up cutting through the old rubber bushing, bolt sleeve, and bolt in order to preserve the mount. I tried to be careful with the cutting blade but ended up getting into the backside of the mount a little and the hole is now slightly distorted.
I am not sure if this is an application for a lock washer & regular nut, so ordered the ARP bolt and heavy duty flag nut from @mrblaine. I'd like some advice on the back mount hole. Is it ok to install the new bolt & flag nut despite the back hole being slightly distorted? Will the two sides of the mount still be able to clamp to the end of the bolt sleeve and stop it from moving with the back hole like this?

View attachment 340575

View attachment 340576

View attachment 340577

View attachment 340578

That is a bit tough but give it a shot, if you tear up the bolt and nut, get in touch and I'll send out another one AFTER you fix the back side. No impact use on the bolt, they don't like it.

Reactions: BlueRidge304
Thanks @mrblaine. Appreciate the advice on not using an impact to prevent galling. I'll run the new bolt and nut with the back side hole as it is and see how that goes. If the bolt and nut are unhappy, i'll get in touch after repairing the back side mounting hole.

What torque value for the new bolt - ~50 ft-lbs. with some blue Loctite?

Thanks again.

It's not so much to prevent galling as it is to prevent breaking the bolt. That bolt has a nasty habit of snapping if it gets over-tightened.

The ARP bolt we use only breaks when it seizes in the nut from using an impact and then gets tightened or loosened further. I run them to 55 ft lbs lubed.

Thanks @mrblaine. Appreciate the advice on not using an impact to prevent galling. I'll run the new bolt and nut with the back side hole as it is and see how that goes. If the bolt and nut are unhappy, i'll get in touch after repairing the back side mounting hole.

What torque value for the new bolt - ~50 ft-lbs. with some blue Loctite?

Thanks again.

55 lubed. According to ARP, threads and under the head.

Perfect thanks!

Wanted to follow up on this. Wow this is a high quality fastener...nicest i've ever seen. The HD flag nut is equally impressive. Torqued to 55 ft lbs, there are no vibrations, no wobbling, and the clamping force is strong enough so the bolt is not moving back and forth in the hole. Thanks @mrblaine

tbb1.jpg

It's not so much to prevent galling as it is to prevent breaking the bolt. That bolt has a nasty habit of snapping if it gets over-tightened.

Not sure how I missed this one but, no, they don't have a nasty habit of snapping when overtightened. What happens is folks don't lube them and then use an impact which galls the threads and seizes it in the nut. They then break the bolt trying to tighten it or back them out.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Wanted to follow up on this. Wow this is a high quality fastener...nicest i've ever seen. The HD flag nut is equally impressive. Torqued to 55 ft lbs, there are no vibrations, no wobbling, and the clamping force is strong enough so the bolt is not moving back and forth in the hole. Thanks @mrblaine

View attachment 352443

Keep an eye on it. If you have a problem with the bolt or nut, I'll take care of it.

Not sure how I missed this one but, no, they don't have a nasty habit of snapping when overtightened. What happens is folks don't lube them and then use an impact which galls the threads and seizes it in the nut. They then break the bolt trying to tighten it or back them out.
It never saw an impact wrench.

To clarify, I snapped the OE factory bolt, not the bolt and flag nut from Blaine at Black Magic I've been running for years.