97JurassicJeep

I just replaced my fuel pump, on my 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport with a inline six, and when I was reconnecting the fuel pump to the connector on the Jeep the red locking clip does not work. I messed with it for awhile and can get it to slide when its not connect but doesn't slide to lock the two connectors together.

Is there a after market part so I can replace the connector? Don't really want to do that bc the electrical part works, but it also needs to not fall apart while driving.
Any hits, tips or tricks? Maybe I could ust get the red locking piece? Tried looking up the part but nothing came back in my searches.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Are you talking about the connector above the tank that connects directly to the fuel pump itself? If so I'd probably use a small zip-tie to hold the two halves together and then I'd wrap electrical tape around the connector out to its wires to insure it stays together. Or the external connector that is at the outside of the front-driver's side corner of the tank?

It sounds as though the connector may not be going in all the way. There is likely a rubber gasket inside the connector. This rubber can dry out and get hung up. A simple solution is to spray silicone lubricant into the connector housing so that the gasket does not stick to the plastic

I wouldn't replace the plug just because the little red lock won't go in. You need to clean the gunk off the plug and then the red lock clip will go back in. As others said make sure the rubber seal is in place and not cocked in there.

So yes to answer Jerry’s question it is the connector that connect the fuel pump to the Jeep. I will try the silicone lubricant bc it doesn’t feel like it’s plugging in all the way. I had trouble snd really had to work at it to disconnect it before I dropped the tank when the fuel pump was replaced.

So I zip tied it and sort of fixed the issue. I am now having the sam issue as before I replaced the fuel pump.

I’ll turn the key to on and the gas gauge will read empty and the car won’t start. If I turn the key on and off sometimes the gauge will show the fuel level but I might have to turn it in 3 times and sometimes I have to do it 50 times. Get really annoying.

I replaced the fuel pump twice now so pretty sure is not the pump. Any ideas?

So I zip tied it and sort of fixed the issue. I am now having the sam issue as before I replaced the fuel pump.

I’ll turn the key to on and the gas gauge will read empty and the car won’t start. If I turn the key on and off sometimes the gauge will show the fuel level but I might have to turn it in 3 times and sometimes I have to do it 50 times. Get really annoying.

I replaced the fuel pump twice now so pretty sure is not the pump. Any ideas?

Have you checked the fuel pump relay under the hood?