Fuel Pump Fastener

Landon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Man I hate the fuel pump seal. I canā€™t for the life of me line up the damn threads!! šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬

Have you tried rotating the ring backwards (CCW) several degrees before attempting to engage the threads ?
Inspect the threads on both parts to make sure there are no burrs or damaged threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Landon
I actually replaced my fuel pump today (for the second time šŸ˜”) and sprayed the ring down real good with silicone spray before engaging threads. Probably took me 20 tries but a few minutes later I got it on.

Reactions: Landon and Daryl
Try lubricating the threads with distilled water.
5453C7F3-F482-47D7-A442-06164F44FAD7.png

Reactions: Landon
I lubricated the seal with some motor oil. My problem looks to be I canā€™t get the pump down evenly so the threads canā€™t line up evenly.

Have you tried rotating the ring backwards (CCW) several degrees before attempting to engage the threads ?
Inspect the threads on both parts to make sure there are no burrs or damaged threads.
That seemed to be the trick. I also found where threads started on tank and seal then worked back and forth till they caught. Thanks for the help and letting me vent a little.

Reactions: CharlesHS
I lubricated the seal with some motor oil. My problem looks to be I canā€™t get the pump down evenly so the threads canā€™t line up evenly.
With a new seal, my pump stayed hunched down in the seal. I was actually thinking to myself what a bitch it would be to get the ring down if the pump wouldnā€™t sit down.

Make sure you tighten up the ring appropriately. I have had the ring back off twice now over the course of ~5 years. Dropping the tank just to tighten the ring is a pain in the neck.

Hey @Landon . That ring is the hardest part of a fuel pump replacement. Took me over an hour of trying to get it to thread on correctly. It like you won the lottery when it finally goes on right!