Fuel pump issue

rjinaz86323

Grasslands of Arizona
Supporting Member
My Jeep has always been slow to start (seldom on first crank). Luckily it has a Schrader valve, so I got a loaner gauge from Autozone and tested it. I only had 39 # of pressure and the gauge immediately drops to zero when I shut it off. So I guess it is time for a new pump. Do I need the whole assembly or just the pump itself?

Thx
Rick

Last edited:
Seems like you already diagnosed it, but you might want to try priming it a few times (like glow plugs on a diesel ) before starting, see if that makes it kick the first time. then I would suspect either the pump or a leak, but I would try the pump first.

Since the pressure is below spec and it does not hold pressure dont think I want a work-around. Time for a new pump

I used the Delphi pump to replace a failed pump in one of my TJs about 15 months ago. Starts the first time, every time.

Just an observation, the one that came out was an Airtex. Previous owner said he had the original replaced 2 years before. So the Airtex only lasted 2 years. Stick with Delfi. Now that the Bosch fuel pump assembly is no longer available, the Delfi is pretty much the best complete pump you can buy