Fuel pump replacement

jrt2nd

Supporting Member
Long story short, I need to replace the gas tank cradle/skid plate on My 97 TJ and I figured while I had it down I would replace the fuel pump. I have read that a lot of people think the bosch pump is a good one so I started looking on amazon for one. But I'm confused. The bosch pump shown doesn't look anything like the other aftermarket pumps on line or the one I pulled out of my 04 tj. Am I missing something?

Are you seeing just the fuel pump? That is just the main part of the fuel pump assembly. Also, 05-06 fuel pump assemblies look totally different from 97-04 assembies.

Oh. Ok. So many of the after market pumps come as a complete assembly and I will have to disassemble my assembly to replace the pump with the Bosch? If so, are there other parts of the assembly that should be replace as well?

Wow! I've just been reading a bunch more threads on fuel pump issues and there have been quite a few comments about the bosch pumps failing. That is concerning!.

you win some and you lose some. its basically a shot in the dark. I had bad luck with Delphi twice in a year so im currently running a bosh complete assembly maybe a month of so of use now. pretty sure the Bosch stated it was made in Mexico on the tag, hopefully ill have better luck than the Chinese manufactured Delphi's.

further clarification, on pumps.

you can replace just the pump which looks similar to this. this takes more time & I didnt have much luck with disassembly of the module (I broke something at the time and gave up). its hidden inside the module of the bottom photo.
7E30FAE7-3D9C-46EC-8386-C602EEAB17CD.jpeg

or you can replace the module which looks roughly similar to this. I think ive read of differences on how the very top looks based on different years 🤷‍♂️. this is the route I went as I had already ruined my pump only replacement.
7BEF7F16-AF7F-4732-A710-BA24B187561D.jpeg

Wow! I've just been reading a bunch more threads on fuel pump issues and there have been quite a few comments about the bosch pumps failing. That is concerning!.
Comments regarding Bosch fuel pumps have been generally very positive with few exceptions in my experience. Not to mention Bosch is the OEM for the fuel pumps the factory installed into our TJs.

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler