Fuel Tank Skid Plate

zachpeakee

The most hated man on the internet
Supporting Member
Took the TJ to an Offroad Park near me today, and smashed the factory fuel tank skid.
It was a hard enough hit that I initially thought it was my rear bumper.
Absolutely rattled my bones.

After hitting it, I threw a CEL for about 10 min, which went away after re-cranking the Jeep.
Still unsure as to what caused the CEL (haven't hooked up to the scanner yet) but needless to say, the OEM fuel tank skid took a nasty blow.

What's the common work-around for the low-hanging fuel tank, and avoiding damage?
I'd prefer to keep the fuel tank in the factory location.

Any skid plates that offer a bit more protection, or am I overthinking the situation?

Reactions: inkedrose
Look at Genright.

With a 1.25" body lift and a welder you can tuck up you existing tank a little bit.

Lots of posts on these forums discussing this topic.

-Mac

I'll have to do some more digging.
Using the search feature in the forums was leading me down a rabbit-hole.

I'm having better luck searching google, and linking to the forum!

Cut and raise a 03-06 factory gas tank skid up an inch. A 1.25" body lift is needed.

Otherwise, Savvy is the nicest option for clearance and weight.

I'll have to do some more digging.
Using the search feature in the forums was leading me down a rabbit-hole.

I'm having better luck searching google, and linking to the forum!

When you search the forum amd get your result screen, click the Google option. That’s helpful

Reactions: SSTJ
Took the TJ to an Offroad Park near me today, and smashed the factory fuel tank skid.
It was a hard enough hit that I initially thought it was my rear bumper.
Absolutely rattled my bones.

After hitting it, I threw a CEL for about 10 min, which went away after re-cranking the Jeep.
Still unsure as to what caused the CEL (haven't hooked up to the scanner yet) but needless to say, the OEM fuel tank skid took a nasty blow.

What's the common work-around for the low-hanging fuel tank, and avoiding damage?
I'd prefer to keep the fuel tank in the factory location.

Any skid plates that offer a bit more protection, or am I overthinking the situation?

I have a Rokmen steel skid. Heavy but raises the tank 1” not sure the body lift is required tho. Quick google search and it seems our friends at Rokmen are out of business. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I have a Rokmen steel skid. Heavy but raises the tank 1” not sure the body lift is required tho. Quick google search and it seems our friends at Rokmen are out of business. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Any skid the raises things up more than a fraction of an inch requires a body lift.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
1. Later model (started in 2000 or 2003, not sure exactly) skid plate is stronger
2. Cut off mounting flanges, weld back together to make skid 1" shallower (body lift required)
3. Many aftermarket skids are built shallower or have adjustable flanges to mount at stock height or higher. The favorite around here was savvy because it's aluminum. Not sure it's available right now.

and dent easy.....
Saying that cause i've done so,And its most likely the cause of my Evap code too...

They all dent if you land on them hard enough. 🤣
20240128_110243.jpg

I wasn’t aware that the later skid was stronger.

Will look into that option.
*Lifted from another thread...

For those of you who have never had the opportunity to compare the differences between the early OEM gas tank skids ('97 to '02, though there is some debate about the last year of the early style) and the late-model ones, I offer up some pics for you to see. As far as the material thickness goes, my '98's is .075" thick, while the later one is .085" thick. While the .010" difference doesn't seem like much, I can say that the extra stamped "ribs" or channels in the later ones definitely aid in the rigidity of the skid. Also, the one-piece stamping of the later ones is much stronger than the welded-on pieces the earlier ones had. Additionally, the earlier skids are completely open on the driver's side, whereas the later ones encase the fuel tank. I paid $45 for the later one, including the straps.
IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

1. Later model (started in 2000 or 2003, not sure exactly) skid plate is stronger
I used to say 2003 since I'd never seen one before that and it made sense for that to be the year break due to all the other changes but someone corrected me with his 2002 that was purchased new with the correct build date to be an 02.
3. Many aftermarket skids are built shallower or have adjustable flanges to mount at stock height or higher. The favorite around here was savvy because it's aluminum. Not sure it's available right now.
1 aftermarket is adjustable. I've not seen anyone else copy my design in that regard. Doesn't mean they haven't, I've just not seen it.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low