Fuel tank straps: with or without the plastic thingy on top?

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Swapping out the fuel tank skid and am going to replace the tank straps while I’m in there. 2000 Sport

The Mopar parts catalog shows a metal strap without the plastic attachments on top

IMG_7768.jpeg

Searching the web by part number and filtering for OE Mopar/Jeep parts and the only thing that comes up are straps with the plastic component on top of the straps.

IMG_7766.jpeg

Haven’t pulled the tank yet so not sure which are in there.

Can either style work? Which is correct for a 2000 Sport?

Order the ones with the plastic part. Cut them off if you don’t need them. Unless the price difference is big.

Mike, I just did some research. It looks like there were three revisions of the same part used through the years. The first one, part number 52100235, was used from 1997 to 2003. The second one, part number 52100235AC, was used for 2004 and 2005. The last one, part number 52100235AD, was used in 2006. I think the plastic part got added with the AC revision, and it looked to me like it stayed there into the AD revision. Right now, only the second version, part number 52100235AC, is still available, but Jeep's site says it fits 2001-2005 TJs. I wasn't able to find any info on what the plastic pieces do, though. As previously suggested, I think you could likely cut the plastic bits off if they don't work for your 2000 TJ since the base (numeric part of the) part number is the same. I'm tagging @mrblaine because I bet he has some insight, given all the rigs he's touched over the years...

The purpose of those is to maintain a space between the bottom of the tub and the plastic fittings of the fuel pump and vent lines in an accident. In a rear end collision where the tank would get shoved up into the tub, they would get broken and increase the risk of fire.

The purpose of those is to maintain a space between the bottom of the tub and the plastic fittings of the fuel pump and vent lines in an accident. In a rear end collision where the tank would get shoved up into the tub, they would get broken and increase the risk of fire.

I suspect that may have been the intent and it matches the plastic guard they stuck on all the rear trackbar mounts. I don't think it really matters though.