Full MORyde kit or upgraded hinges for 33s?

So from amazon the RR Spartacus hinge kit + vertical mount is basically the exact same price as the Morryde, actually a few cents more.
I’ll have to watch for sales but no sense in going with the RR if they’re the same price.
I’d still like to hear from some others that have just upgraded the hinges, or at least an answer if it’s something that should even be considered or not.
Thanks all so far though.

Reactions: BlueC
I’ll have to watch for sales but no sense in going with the RR if they’re the same price.

That's what I did and I have less than $350 in my hinge and mount, but like everything else that price has gone up over the last 2 years.

Reactions: James9100
There's always the more budget friendly at-home weight loss option ;)
View attachment 385326

View attachment 385327

Plasma torch and hole saws...that drill bit won't get you anywhere...dimple dies for style points. Bonus points if you lighten your spare with a 6" hole saw.

IMG20221219095904.jpg

-Mac

I carry my 33 with the (Morryde) HD hinges and stock mount. Been about 10 years, no issues.
However, it's not a daily driver and whenever possible I move the spare inside for off roading.

Did you have any real issues before getting the reinforcement? Or just did it for peace of mind?

I felt it was sketchy. All that changed was the hinges. Same 8 factory bolts. With the triangular brace the top hinge gets reinforced on the tub side. Moryde was skeptical when I spoke to them. I’m glad I added the brace

I went this route after I noticed my 33x12.50 bending/flexing my tailgate. They claim it's good for up to 35s.

View attachment 385278

Originally I only bought the hinge and used the stock mount, but with the stiffness of the new hinge, the stock mount cracked within a few days. My only complaint is that it is a little heavy.

I did this as well... though my RR HD tire carrier is the one piece version. I have zero complaints about the hinge casting. It was a two out of five banana install. Just need some patience. I installed it well over a year ago and have had no issues and everything has stayed perfectly aligned. Dead quiet, no rattles. Can close the rear gate with one finger. 33's here.

Having said this, the carrier was installed by the PO and I never liked the cantilever design or how far it stands off the rear gate. No way you can get snubbers long enough to contact the gate and you can't change to another carrier because the hinge casting covers the mounting holes for the snubbers. It is rock solid but it looks pretty goofy.

Never cared for the two-step swing away carriers. TJ is my DD and I use the trunk storage area a lot (Bestop InstaTrunk for security) so the swing away would annoy me to no end. I found a Bestop HighRock swing away carrier that swings with the gate and will be removing all the RR Spartacus stuff as soon as weather allows primarily because of the carrier, not the hinge.

Reactions: JMT and MikekiM
Having said this, the carrier was installed by the PO and I never liked the cantilever design or how far it stands off the rear gate. No way you can get snubbers long enough to contact the gate and you can't change to another carrier because the hinge casting covers the mounting holes for the snubbers. It is rock solid but it looks pretty goofy.

From what I understand it’s the mount that actually comes with the Spartacus kit that puts the tire at an angle and creates the cantilever right?
According to @BlueC if I were to go with the RR 11585.01 mount the tire should sit vertically and tight enough to the tailgate that I can get the snubbers against it?

From what I understand it’s the mount that actually comes with the Spartacus kit that puts the tire at an angle and creates the cantilever right?
According to @BlueC if I were to go with the RR 11585.01 mount the tire should sit vertically and tight enough to the tailgate that I can get the snubbers against it?

That should be correct. The mount I have keeps the tire parallel to the tailgate. I can't confirm the snubbers as I don't have any. My wheel back spacing pushes the tire out quite a bit, and the original owner pulled the snubbers. If you want some pic or measurements, just let me know.

Edit; I found one pic where you can see the gap on my Jeep with the RR setup. This is also how my spare mounted when on the stock mount and hinges. There might be fractions of an inch difference relative to the body.
1671542960060.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Jim
That should be correct. The mount I have keeps the tire parallel to the tailgate. I can't confirm the snubbers as I don't have any. My wheel back spacing pushes the tire out quite a bit, and the original owner pulled the snubbers. If you want some pic or measurements, just let me know.

Edit; I found one pic where you can see the gap on my Jeep with the RR setup. This is also how my spare mounted when on the stock mount and hinges. There might be fractions of an inch difference relative to the body.
View attachment 385614

What’s your wheel BS?
I’ve currently got 4.5” but I’m hoping to find a set of ravines so the 5.5” BS should tuck the tire in pretty tight.

Might be right on this. I have no idea how close it sits to the gate. I didn't like that it was two pieces. I also wanted to run a tailgate over-spare basket and the RR Spartacus was a no go. I looked at a few carriers that were reportedly compatible with the RR Spartacus and decided to change everything.

I'd be interested in how it mounts in case I hate the Bestop carrier

What’s your wheel BS?

I'd have to measure it to know for sure. The original owner picked them. He did it right, as I have zero rubbing with 12.50s. I have quite a bit of "lip" on the front side, so I'd imagine a stock wheel would suck into the body/over the mount quite a bit.

What’s your wheel BS?
I’ve currently got 4.5” but I’m hoping to find a set of ravines so the 5.5” BS should tuck the tire in pretty tight.

It looks like I have 3.25" backspacing and an 8.5" wide wheel. The tire (33x12.50) sits 4.5" off of the tailgate.