Funny sound, possibly input shaft bearing?

sparkyhooker

So a few weeks ago I bought a 2005 wrangler with the 6 speed tranny. 87,000 miles on the clock, I listened pretty hard to everything before I bought it and didn't hear anything unusual. But now I'm hearing an odd sound and I can't quite pinpoint it. Basically it sounds like a scratchy sound, mostly just at idle and it's kinda erratic with no rhythm to it. Depressing the clutch pedal will stop it momentarily but then it will start again, not as loud as with the pedal out but it's still there. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from but it sounds to me like somewhere near or in the tranny. I tried to listen with the screwdriver trick but I couldn't hear it anywhere through the screwdriver.
My best guess is the input shaft bearing but I want to get a couple opinions before I tear into it.
Edit: after driving around for awhile it will go away

Last edited:
Is it like a rattling sound? In neutral at idle with the clutch released, the NSG370 is known to rattle. This is completely normal. Mine does it as well

Is it like a rattling sound? In neutral at idle with the clutch released, the NSG370 is known to rattle. This is completely normal. Mine does it as well
Kind of but scratchy is really the best way I can describe it. You could very well be right tho. I suppose if it gets worse I'll know it's something more.

The clutch is worn to the point where the release bearing is just barely touching the pressure plate when the pedal is all the way out. Happened to me at almost exactly the same mileage.

The clutch is worn to the point where the release bearing is just barely touching the pressure plate when the pedal is all the way out. Happened to me at almost exactly the same mileage.
Well I thought about that but the clutch doesn't show any other signs of wear, in fact I would say its stellar. I could be wrong though.
Also forgot to mention that if I drive it around for awhile it goes away. Was that the case with yours?

My clutch seemed fine also. The noise would come and go but got progressively worse. I replaced the clutch and it went away.