G105 ground location?

Leahatrill

TJ Enthusiast
I would agree with you. If you have the $150 or so, a cable linkage is the way to go. If not you could replace the stock linkage. I think I have a couple laying around.
Yup yup! Cable linkage is coming right up after I fix my electrical LOL man I wish I knew where I hone in on to repair that shit .....

Do you have a thread on your electrical problem?
I think there’s multiple. It’s a 0132, 0152, 0038, 0058 code all the 02 sensors. Replaced them all ngk brand new. All the codes reappeared? People are saying it’s the pcm which I COULD be— I don’t know about that. It’s the heater to the 02 up streams. I was thinking instead of tearing apart the wiring harness just pull it out and replace it and if it doesn’t fix the problem it’s the actual computer, no?

I think there’s multiple. It’s a 0132, 0152, 0038, 0058 code all the 02 sensors. Replaced them all ngk brand new. All the codes reappeared? People are saying it’s the pcm which I COULD be— I don’t know about that. It’s the heater to the 02 up streams. I was thinking instead of tearing apart the wiring harness just pull it out and replace it and if it doesn’t fix the problem it’s the actual computer, no?

That would probably work, but I'm and electrical engineer by trade so I like to find those problems instead of throwing parts at them. That's just me though :)

• Love
Reactions: Leahatrill
That would probably work, but I'm and electrical engineer by trade so I like to find those problems instead of throwing parts at them. That's just me though :)
It’s only a couple bucks — it cancels out the main issue I’m trying to figure out with probs and multimeters etc. If you lived in Toronto I’d pay you to come test things out for me with a couple beers too

Reactions: CodaMan

If it were me, I would pull out the schematic and check every O2 sensor wire for opens, resistance, shorts to ground and shorts to other wires.

If it were me, I would pull out the schematic and check every O2 sensor wire for opens, resistance, shorts to ground and shorts to other wires.
That’s the problem— you write that...and it somewhat makes sense to me, but then it doesn’t ....I been on my back biweekly rolling around in mud and cold for I don’t know how long now fixing issues in me Jeep—-now it’s electrical talk and I don’t even know where to start. How do I do this. I unplug the o2 sensors and use a multimeter put it to oem and touch them to the metal on the plugs to check the voltmeter ?

That’s the problem— you write that...and it somewhat makes sense to me, but then it doesn’t ....I been on my back biweekly rolling around in mud and cold for I don’t know how long now fixing issues in me Jeep—-now it’s electrical talk and I don’t even know where to start. How do I do this. I unplug the o2 sensors and use a multimeter put it to oem and touch them to the metal on the plugs to check the voltmeter ?

Well, by reading your post it would take some teaching.

This all depends on how much time you have. We could walk you through it all, but you may be in a hurry.

• Love
Well, by reading your post it would take some teaching.

This all depends on how much time you have. We could walk you through it all, but you may be in a hurry.
I’m a old Jeep owner of 7 years lol I’m a 33 year old woman. I probably do and know more on my Jeep then most middle age men even know about lol I’m trying to figure out my electrical problem. Remove the 02 sensors Upstream plugs? Put a multimeter probe to it at which setting? At which of the setting needs to be at what voltage to know? Lol

If you write bullet form exactly what to do I’ll do exactly this tomorrow and it’ll help me so much. I don’t know where to start and no one has helped me. I followed you immediately because I know you know what you’re talking about

Quick lesson here:

First you need to disconnect both ends by referring to the service manual. Then let's say the below cable is one of your O2 sensor cables (IT IS NOT) with one end connecting to an O2 sensor and the end to the PCM.

1) You would take your multimeter and set it to OHMS on the smallest scale. Then put one meter lead on pin 5 of 1 connector and pin 5 on the other. It should read very little resistance, like under 5 ohms.

2) Then leave one meter lead on pin 5 and touch the other to chassis ground. It should read OPEN or OL, whatever your meter does. That would mean that wire is not shorted to ground.

3) Keeping one meter lead on pin 5, touch the other to pin 2. It should read open just like the test to ground did. Now check pin 5 to pin 3 and look for an open there as well.

We just verified that the wire between pin 5 and pin 5 did not have high resistance, was not shorted to ground and was not shorted to another wire.

Simple right? :)

cable_straight.png

• Love
Quick lesson here:

First you need to disconnect both ends by referring to the service manual. Then let's say the below cable is one of your O2 sensor cables (IT IS NOT) with one end connecting to an O2 sensor and the end to the PCM.

1) You would take your multimeter and set it to OHMS on the smallest scale. Then put one meter lead on pin 5 of 1 connector and pin 5 on the other. It should read very little resistance, like under 5 ohms.

2) Then leave one meter lead on pin 5 and touch the other to chassis ground. It should read OPEN or OL, whatever your meter does. That would mean that wire is not shorted to ground.

3) Keeping one meter lead on pin 5, touch the other to pin 2. It should read open just like the test to ground did. Now check pin 5 to pin 3 and look for an open there as well.

We just verified that the wire between pin 5 and pin 5 did not have high resistance, was not shorted to ground and was not shorted to another wire.

Simple right? :)

View attachment 142073
It’s simple but complicated yes — I would need to study this a couple times to be confident in attempting it lol

Let me download the service manual for your Jeep and see what I can come up with.

Have you followed the wires for each sensor really good and looked for one pinched or burnt somewhere? it doesn't take much.

It’s simple but complicated yes — I would need to study this a couple times to be confident in attempting it lol
Every job that iv done on my Jeep and my vehicles before my Jeep
i honestly stood there today for 1 hour walking around looking at every which wire — where it goes— what it’s connected to...pulled the plastic capping out of the way I didn’t put much effort into it but I didn’t see any burns or anything —there’s something though....somethings causing this I just don’t know where — the whole harness of wires are covered in plastic capping. I’m thinking instead of trying to figure this out to just pay the 150$ or whatever it costs to remove the whole shebang and replace it entirely ?

Reactions: CodaMan
Every job that iv done on my Jeep and my vehicles before my Jeep

i honestly stood there today for 1 hour walking around looking at every which wire — where it goes— what it’s connected to...pulled the plastic capping out of the way I didn’t put much effort into it but I didn’t see any burns or anything —there’s something though....somethings causing this I just don’t know where — the whole harness of wires are covered in plastic capping. I’m thinking instead of trying to figure this out to just pay the 150$ or whatever it costs to remove the whole shebang and it replace it entirely ?

That might just work for you if you can find the right harness. Just be prepared that it could still be a PCM or possibly even the pre-cats, although having both pre-cats go bad at the same time seems unlikely.

That might just work for you if you can find the right harness. Just be prepared that it could still be a PCM or possibly even the pre-cats, although having both pre-cats go bad at the same time seems unlikely.
I think the precats are out of the question by the coding and how they’re heater related. This is what I’m trying to figure out if it’s actually something to do with a couple wiring in the harness or the pcm. I don’t feel like figuring it out with the multimeter or paying someone either with a 15 year old vehicle I rather just replace it entirely and clean the grounds throughly....after that if all the codes reappear I’m assuming it’s the pcm and the circuits to the pcm ?

@Leahatrill have you messed with that linkage at all?

In the picture, red arrow points at a bolt. That bolt fixates link inside of the bracket that is connected to the transfer case lever. When we engage 4H(raise the lever), link moves in the direction indicated by green arrows.
What i am assuming is that your link has shifted inside of that bracket, because bolt (pointed by red arrow) came lose or what ever, and the reason why you cant engage 4L is because instead of being in 2H you are actually in 4H.
Thus, when lever is in N position, transfer case is in 4L.

I hope this makes sense

20200223_225458-1.jpg

This is how much of my linkage is sticking out of the bracket in 2H, use it as a reference
20200223_231704.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love

I suspect you have plugged CATs and no electrical problem at all