Gas smell when turning off Jeep

Chilidawg

TJ Enthusiast
When I shut off my TJ and get out I have a strong odor of gas, no jokes here. I do not notice it while the engine is running, only with it shut off. Where do I start looking at?

Thanks

Any issues with fueling? Pump shuts off normally...no spitting?

How do your soft fuel lines look? I've got my tank out now and am going to replace the lines because they're probably originals and checked and cracked.

Any rust on the hard lines?

I originally thought I had a fuel issue in my Jeep until I realized it was my chainsaw burping gas. I leave it empty now and have MSR fuel bottles titan strapped to the tire carrier.

My tank is out to repair rust and pressure regulator/check valve.

-Mac

Any evidence of it leaking onto the ground? Do you smell it when you walk out to the TJ in the morning when it's cold or does it only happen after the engine has warmed up?

Any evidence of it leaking onto the ground? Do you smell it when you walk out to the TJ in the morning when it's cold or does it only happen after the engine has warmed up?

Only when its been driven and shut off. No signs of gas on the ground, but it is a gravel driveway so I will have to check for that.

Any issues with fueling? Pump shuts off normally...no spitting?

How do your soft fuel lines look? I've got my tank out now and am going to replace the lines because they're probably originals and checked and cracked.

Any rust on the hard lines?

I originally thought I had a fuel issue in my Jeep until I realized it was my chainsaw burping gas. I leave it empty now and have MSR fuel bottles titan strapped to the tire carrier.

My tank is out to repair rust and pressure regulator/check valve.

-Mac

Haven't crawled under to look at any lines. I wanted to see where to start looking at, and all you guys have given me a couple ways to go. This is a southern Rust free Jeep.

My initial suspicion for a gasoline aroma when it's not leaking is the engine is running too rich due to a bad upstream O2 sensor. They don't always or even often generate a bad O2 CEL code.

My initial suspicion for a gasoline aroma when it's not leaking is the engine is running too rich due to a bad upstream O2 sensor. They don't always or even often generate a bad O2 CEL code.

Thanks for the input. I will crawl under it this week and see if I can see a leak. If not I may just by the O2 sensor and replace it. I know there are several, should I replace them all? If not which one are you suggesting I replace?

Thanks for the input. I will crawl under it this week and see if I can see a leak. If not I may just by the O2 sensor and replace it. I know there are several, should I replace them all? If not which one are you suggesting I replace?
If you decide to replace the upstream O2 sensor make sure to only install NTK, NGK, or Mopar. Avoid store brands and especially avoid Bosch which doesn't work well in our Wranglers.

Your TJ only has one upstream O2 sensor, it's mounted on the exhaust header adjacent the engine. The downstream O2 sensor is screwed into the catalytic converter and it does not need to be replaced, it only monitors the cat and has no effect on the engine or its fuel/air ratio which is solely controlled by the upstream O2 sensor.

Check it with the Jeep running. I have had 2 issues in the past. I couldn't spot the leak until both were running. Neither produced a puddle of fuel. It doesn't take much of a leak to get a strong smell but, it also evaporates off quickly. This happened once on a minivan and once on an old Volkswagen Fox. Only noticed the gas smell on both when just done driving. One was rusted lines. the other was a valve of some sort, that was the Fox brazilin. lol. I was able to fix the first with rubber fuel line and had to order the part on the latter.

If you decide to replace the upstream O2 sensor make sure to only install NTK, NGK, or Mopar. Avoid store brands and especially avoid Bosch which doesn't work well in our Wranglers.

Your TJ only has one upstream O2 sensor, it's mounted on the exhaust header adjacent the engine. The downstream O2 sensor is screwed into the catalytic converter and it does not need to be replaced, it only monitors the cat and has no effect on the engine or its fuel/air ratio which is solely controlled by the upstream O2 sensor.

Thanks for the advice on the sensors and brands to use. I will look into that this weekend.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
OK, update. When I parked on a hill and the passenger was higher than the drivers side, and a full tank of gas. When I came out to the Jeep I could smell and see gas on the side of the tank and on the gravel. I pulled the rear tire today and looked at the gas intake and overflow and the lines looked good and didn't feel brittle. Well I assume the gasket on the gas tank. I will order a new fuel pump and install since its 24 years old. What brand of fuel pump to get, and what to definitely stay away from?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
There are two vent hoses on top of the tank hopefully the fittings aren't broken. Bosch pump

Thanks for the input. I have watched a couple of videos on how it goes. As long as all goes well, it doesnt look like that bad of a project.

Thanks for the input. I have watched a couple of videos on how it goes. As long as all goes well, it doesnt look like that bad of a project.

As you loosen the skid nuts keep them pulled down with a screwdriver,prybar etc.otherwise the carriage bolt can strip and you'll need to cut/grind next to that fuel leak.... use spray penetrant and tighten/loosen the nut several times if it wants to stick.

Reactions: Chilidawg