Gauge cluster doesn't work ever since replacing heater core

Kinardg7

So I swapped my engine a bout 2 years ago now. When I had the jeep in the shop, I replaced my heater core. Ever since I took the dash out, none of my gauges work. Ive already downloaded the FSM and traced all of the ground points, double checked all connectors behind the dash, and checked all the fuses in the jeep. Ive tried the "Twist the pins" trick, but to no avail. If anyone has any idea of how to help me stop running out of gas, please let me know! I am an electrical technician who works on vehicle wiring every day. Ive just had it with this jeep and I need some help from fellow jeepers!

Well clearly this would point to one of those cases where if things worked before you removed the dash and replaced the heater core, you caused something in the process that stopped the gauges from working.

If I had to guess, there is either something you forgot to plug back in, or you damaged a wire in the process.

You might not want to hear this, but it may be time to consider taking the dash off again. Then you can make sure everything is plugged in, and get the gauge cluster working before putting the dash back on.

That's what I would do.

How would I know if I have a bad cluster? Ive taken it apart before and noticed the odometer has some black spot in the corner. Wondering if that could have been a short, and id like to test the instrument cluster.

A common problem with TJ's (early models at least) is the pink wire with a white stripe becoming damaged. This happened to my older 99 TJ I used to own. Luckily, mine burnt through right near the fuse box and I was able to replace the strand of damaged wire easily. This wire supplies power to the cluster. Typically if it has something to do with this wire being cut, the radio may not work along with the OBD2 port. Depending on what year your TJ is. You can see the wire if you remove the fuse box under the hood (in the bundle of wires). That wire ultimately routes underneath the dash to one of the plugs near the OBD2 port, on the left kick panel. You can test for voltage on that wire at the kick panel side, and see if maybe it got pinched or cut.

Reactions: Imapepper
Old thread but I still have the same issue. Found this weekend that if I have my high beams on, and turn the key off, all the accessories (radio, air panel, lights) all turn off but the engine keeps running. If I flip the high beam switch or push in the light stalk the engine cuts off. I guess ive never tried to turn off the jeep with the high beams on, but that is really weird. Any ideas as to what this could be? Maybe this will help me figure out my gauges. Got a new gauge cluster and the problem persisted. Obviously its a wiring issue.... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (except anyone saying I missed a ground wire. I for sure didn't miss a ground wire)

I would remove the plastic clam shells surrounding the steering column and do a thorough inspection of the wiring and harness connectors for the multi function switch and ignition switch looking for melted wiring, loose connectors or dirty terminals.

I would remove the plastic clam shells surrounding the steering column and do a thorough inspection of the wiring and harness connectors for the multi function switch and ignition switch looking for melted wiring, loose connectors or dirty terminals.

Ive done this a few times. All the wiring looks good and clean. No melted wires, no pinched wires.