Gauges don't work

I consulted a friend that is a long time Jeep technician; the wiring for the early released 97 model in Spring 96 thru Fall 97 and even into early 98 had different wiring in the cluster and other areas of the vehicle.
My FSM does not address the differences in those years...

Y
I consulted a friend that is a long time Jeep technician; the wiring for the early released 97 model in Spring 96 thru Fall 97 and even into early 98 had different wiring in the cluster and other areas of the vehicle.
My FSM does not address the differences in those years...
Yes Ive read it is different. That’s why I called it a 96 1/2. The date stamped on the steel behind the cluster says like 2/14/96 and the white sticker on door for date of manf. Says 3/96. I’m going to go to town and buy a headlight switch tomorrow and hope that fixes my cluster and HVAC lamps and maybe will magically fix the bus signal too. Will update tomorrow.

Yes Ive read it is different. That’s why I called it a 96 1/2. The date stamped on the steel behind the cluster says like 2/14/96 and the white sticker on door for date of manf. Says 3/96. I’m going to go to town and buy a headlight switch tomorrow and hope that fixes my cluster and HVAC lamps and maybe will magically fix the bus signal too. Will update tomorrow.

Check on the Electrical Wiring page 8W-40-4 thru 11 of the Forum Sticky PDF for 1997 Jeep Wranglers.

1997 Jeep TJ FSM

Last edited:
I bought a new light switch today and it did not do anything to the cluster illumination or the HVAC controls illumination. With a test light I checked for power on the plugs for the cluster. On the left plug I had power on pin 8 and 9 and on right plug I had no power and any of the pins. This was with the key on and the cluster unhooked.

Measure pin 6 to ground to see if you have continuity...
Pin 3 should have voltage to the instrument cluster back lighting when the ignition is ON and the parking lights are selected.

Measure pin 6 to ground to see if you have continuity...
Pin 3 should have voltage to the instrument cluster back lighting when the ignition is ON and the parking lights are selected.
I will have to purchase me a multi meter when I’m in town after bit. I did try all the pins with the headlights on cause I thought you might ask that and had same results. I will take my test light and hook to a known positive and check that ground on pin 6.

Since I have owned the Jeep they have never for me. They guy I bought it from have a heads up display that displays tac, speed, temp, 12v. But the oil pressure has been old schooled and a line to a gauge

How is this heads up display installed? Based on reading here I would guess that the PO installed that heads up display in lieu of the cluster, hence why all the illumination bulbs were removed.

I'd dig into that HUD and figure out how it is getting information. It has to be spliced or teed into the lines between the PCM & instrument cluster somehow. If you want to get rid of the HUD I'd recommend figuring out how to remove it and return the system to spec.

Reactions: Daryl
With key off and a positive from battery on test light.
left plug is showing ground on pin 1,5,6,8,10 and right plug pin 6.
With the key on, on left plug I lose ground on pin 8 and right plug is same.
Now with a ground lead on test light with key on and lights on. Power to left plug on 1,8,9 and nothing on right plug.
Beating your head on the floor? Me too😫

How is this heads up display installed? Based on reading here I would guess that the PO installed that heads up display in lieu of the cluster, hence why all the illumination bulbs were removed.

I'd dig into that HUD and figure out how it is getting information. It has to be spliced or teed into the lines between the PCM & instrument cluster somehow. If you want to get rid of the HUD I'd recommend figuring out how to remove it and return the system to spec.
The heads up display is through the obd2 it’s not spliced in.

Reactions: qslim
With key off and a positive from battery on test light.
left plug is showing ground on pin 1,5,6,8,10 and right plug pin 6.
With the key on, on left plug I lose ground on pin 8 and right plug is same.
Now with a ground lead on test light with key on and lights on. Power to left plug on 1,8,9 and nothing on right plug.
Beating your head on the floor? Me too😫

Pin 3 is positive to illuminate the cluster back lighting bulbs, pin 6 is the ground for those lights and there is also a ground coming from the ignition switch Run/Start one of these goes thru the Trip Reset push button on the cluster.
IF all of these are good... then those bulbs should illuminate unless there is something wrong with the cluster.

The heads up display is through the obd2 it’s not spliced in.
And all the il
Pin 3 is positive to illuminate the cluster back lighting bulbs, pin 6 is the ground for those lights and there is also a ground coming from the ignition switch Run/Start one of these goes thru the Trip Reset push button on the cluster.
IF all of these are good... then those bulbs should illuminate unless there is something wrong with the cluster.
what I don’t understand is even if something is wrong in the cluster or the bulbs are burnt or w.e I should still get back lights at the heater controls correct?

I noticed the metal was pretty rusty behind the cluster. So I started taking the all the Screws for the dash out and pull it back it’s all rusty. The whole metal bracket behind the plastic dash is surface rusted. I found grounds by the front speakers But what other grounds go to this rusty bracket

E3FBA3CE-4D5A-4AA2-9526-E49897E3F132.jpeg

A817B66F-0C2C-4341-9A0D-7D119CF000DA.jpeg

I can do without the back lights, back to the bus signal wiring for the gauges does anyone know any of that. Or have any input on that topic?

CCD Bus - is terminal pin 1 (white/black) and CCD Bus + is terminal pin 2 (violet/brown) which is fed from the Powertrain Control Module on pins 28 & 30 of the PCM. These wires are a twisted pair.

CCD Bus - is terminal pin 1 (white/black) and CCD Bus + is terminal pin 2 (violet/brown) which is fed from the Powertrain Control Module on pins 28 & 30 of the PCM. These wires are a twisted pair.

Good point, the twist is there to help mitigate EMI, one should make sure the twist is present all the way to the terminal ends

So I took a wire brush and drill to my rusty dash bracket and was able to get lamps on at my heater control then when I plug the cluster in my turn signals and high beam lights in cluster are faintly flashing. Then if I take my illumination wire in my stereo(because my aftermarket stereo doesn’t have a illumination wire) and hook it to the 12v the flashing stops in the cluster and the turn signals and high beam are brighter. Wtf!! I guess keep cleaning on the rusty bracket as much as I can. And see if it helps anymore.

So I took a wire brush and drill to my rusty dash bracket and was able to get lamps on at my heater control then when I plug the cluster in my turn signals and high beam lights in cluster are faintly flashing. Then if I take my illumination wire in my stereo(because my aftermarket stereo doesn’t have a illumination wire) and hook it to the 12v the flashing stops in the cluster and the turn signals and high beam are brighter. Wtf!! I guess keep cleaning on the rusty bracket as much as I can. And see if it helps anymore.

Didn't realize that you metal (ground) bracing was so rusty until I looked at that one picture...
Looks like you have some grounding issues.....

Do you have a meter? You can check these grounds to the - battery terminal and see what you’re getting. Shouldn’t be much more than a couple of ohms.