Gear change and lockers: Overlooked items?

The 8.8 31 spline is an extremely easy find in any yard just have to check gearing ratio
95-01 explorer (mountaineer)
Ok good to know. In that case it makes a lot of sense for most people and others it's probably more of just general preference. I was thinking my F-150 wasn't 31 spline and the internet warned of the 31 spline being rare.

Ok good to know. In that case it makes a lot of sense for most people and others it's probably more of just general preference. I was thinking my F-150 wasn't 31 spline and the internet warned of the 31 spline being rare.
The 31 spline version of the 8.8 came in larger vehicles, Explorer and larger. Smaller trucks like the Ranger had the smaller 28 spline version.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I'd keep the project small. If you start replacing everything it'll be much more difficult to track down things if they go wrong. You don't want to be getting used to a new suspension and tracking down noises from the re-gear at the same time. The gears will be a large enough chunk of work, I'd just do those first. When the gears are broken in then think about your next project.

I'd keep the project small. If you start replacing everything it'll be much more difficult to track down things if they go wrong. You don't want to be getting used to a new suspension and tracking down noises from the re-gear at the same time. The gears will be a large enough chunk of work, I'd just do those first. When the gears are broken in then think about your next project.
Yeah, I definitely agree.

From what I can tell, to regear the Dana 35 I have no choice but swap carriers and I'd prefer to just go 30 spline ARB locker. In the front I could just regear, but that seems like a lot of work not to swap that carrier and add chromoly shafts, but it's also like $1,500 more in parts.

Of course from some guys I know that have just swapped out carriers, they didn't mess with pinion depth so the job wasn't too bad just swapping the carrier. Talking with them they didn't confirm mesh after, just copied backlash. I would feel better to confirm gear mesh personally. I think one of the issues they had was that they tried, but couldn't see the markings.

Of course from some guys I know that have just swapped out carriers, they didn't mess with pinion depth so the job wasn't too bad just swapping the carrier. Talking with them they didn't confirm mesh after, just copied backlash. I would feel better to confirm gear mesh personally. I think one of the issues they had was that they tried, but couldn't see the markings.
When just changing carriers and re-using the same gears, there's no need to do anything but check and adjust the backlash. Shim the carrier left/right to obtain the same backlash as you measured before taking things apart and you'll be good. There's no need to mess with the pinion at all.

You also might look for a used Dana 30 with 3.55 gears. They aren't exactly rare around here. With 33" or even 31" tires and a locker in the rear you wont exactly be stressing the front axle. You'll save money for other fun things.

When just changing carriers and re-using the same gears, there's no need to do anything but check and adjust the backlash. Shim the carrier left/right to obtain the same backlash as you measured before taking things apart and you'll be good. There's no need to mess with the pinion at all.
That makes sense.

Now with a slight twist to that I need replace a rear seal on another differential and I've got over 325,000 mi on my truck and I was thinking of swapping out the pinion bearings when I swap out the carrier. I would think that gears would be fine with OEM shims/adjustments. Does that sound correct/make sense?

You also might look for a used Dana 30 with 3.55 gears. They aren't exactly rare around here. With 33" or even 31" tires and a locker in the rear you wont exactly be stressing the front axle. You'll save money for other fun things.
Well I have kind of planned on doing lockers front and rear. I'm not sure I'll use them a lot though.

Changing the pinion or carrier bearings can often change how the R&P gears mesh, that's something I'd be careful with.
I assume pinion bearings, wear out though, or would their typical life be that of the gear teeth? I already need to do new seals in the diff and I do want and have a locker to put in there and hence the carrier will have new bearings. Side to side is really easy on that axle.

I assume pinion bearings, wear out though, or would their typical life be that of the gear teeth? I already need to do new seals in the diff and I do want and have a locker to put in there and hence the carrier will have new bearings. Side to side is really easy on that axle.
Axle bearings can have extremely long lives. Most axles end up in the junkyards in very serviceable condition after the rest of the vehicle fell apart, most commonly from engine or transmission issues.

Axle bearings can have extremely long lives. Most axles end up in the junkyards in very serviceable condition after the rest of the vehicle fell apart, most commonly from engine or transmission issues.
Well I just worry because of the truck mileage, but honestly I don't think I've heard of anyone with pinion bearings failing.

I think you all have convinced me to regear both, unless I can find a direct swap Dana 30 with 3.55 gears and just do the Super 35 kit with ARB. From there I can decide if I still want a selectable locker in the front.

I don't meant to open another can of worms, but are there any other steering items people change out when swapping in a front axle?

Last edited:
Since 3.55 only came in some 1997 axles, the odds of finding that are worse than winning the lotto.
Yes that's what I figured originally. From memory the front is pretty clear, besides removing the tie rod there, so I don't think it'll be horrible. Getting the crush sleeve torqued down properly may be a PITA. I'm tempted to buy several crush sleeves and bumping them with the impact until I get one right :).

Since 3.55 only came in some 1997 axles, the odds of finding that are worse than winning the lotto.
There are two currently for sale in San Diego, one for $500 and the other for $400. You might be forgetting that Cherokees had D30s that fit our Jeeps or I should buy a lottery ticket.

Edit: I really only mention it because every auto 4.0 cherokee has an HP30 with 3.55s in it, they are at junkyards by the millions, I'm not suggesting HP30 upgrade or anything like that

Last edited:
There are two currently for sale in San Diego, one for $500 and the other for $400. You might be forgetting that Cherokees had D30s that fit our Jeeps or I should buy a lottery ticket.

Edit: I really only mention it because every auto 4.0 cherokee has an HP30 with 3.55s in it, they are at junkyards by the millions, I'm not suggesting HP30 upgrade or anything like that
No doubt, I was only thinking TJ axles. An XJ HP Dana 30 axle would be a nice upgrade to the LP TJ Dana 30 axle.