Gear oil

Yes, that's fine. I put the same in my rear diff because I got it cheap. If you do any serious towing, I would use conventional gear oil as it keeps the gears cooler. But you're fine using that stuff, even if it's stupid overpriced.

Reactions: conlopez
Yes, that's fine. I put the same in my rear diff because I got it cheap. If you do any serious towing, I would use conventional gear oil as it keeps the gears cooler. But you're fine using that stuff, even if it's stupid overpriced.
I will be towing a 2000 pound trailer, will the synthetic oil present a problem? If I remember correctly I think the manual says to use synthetic 75w-140 for towing

I will be towing a 2000 pound trailer, will the synthetic oil present a problem? If I remember correctly I think the manual says to use synthetic 75w-140 for towing
I'm sure you'd be fine. But you'll generally find the consensus on this forum is to use something like 85w-140 conventional gear lube for towing.

Reactions: conlopez
So after a highway trip I felt the rear differential housing and it was hot enough to burn me. I read some other threads about synthetic gear oil and they said that synthetic gear oil will make the housing run cooler because it is not extracting heat away from the gears as well as conventional oil would. Does this only apply to aftermarket gears because that housing was really hot?

@Jerry Bransford can you give me some more insight?

The normal operating temperature for a diff housing is hot enough that you can't hold your hand on it. Whether filled with a synthetic or conventional gear lube.

The lube doesn't know if the gears are aftermarket or OE, but understand that the factory installs only gears that that are pre-lapped and ready to run without a break-in. That's why we don't need to perform a break-in routine for the axles that come in our brand-new cars and Jeeps.

You can definitely get away more easily with using a synthetic with the factory gears than when breaking in new aftermarket gears that are not pre-lapped and need to be properly broken in. Which is why gear companies like Revolution Gear & specify conventional gear lubes... especially during the very critical break-in process that creates hotter conditions which is why you need to stop every so often to let new gears cool off until they're broken in.