Gear Pattern Check

I think you're there. I would add 3 thou just to see what would happen to the coast side.
Move the pinion in 3 thou, or shift the carrier into the pinion?

I'm getting a better understanding of how the changes interact, just want to make sure I'm understanding suggestions correctly.

Hey,

New guy here. Been reading here for awhile but just registered to help with this thread.

Not a Jeep expert but I've done a bunch of gears for Ford 9 inch circle track stuff.

I'd shim the pinion deeper. Move that drive contact patch in deeper and see what you have for a coast pattern then.
Thanks for going out of your way to comment! I think there's some room for improvement, but I'm happy to see it so close. It's been a fun learning process, will make some additional tweaks to see if it can be perfected a bit.

Thanks for going out of your way to comment! I think there's some room for improvement, but I'm happy to see it so close. It's been a fun learning process, will make some additional tweaks to see if it can be perfected a bit.
No problem. I've gotten so much good info from here I'm just glad I could add something.

You're definitely on your way. Since you're new to gears making some adjustments and seeing how the pattern moves around is worth the effort.

You don't need this but on a race car you'd set that drive pattern way in. If you just get it to the middle you're good. If the coast still doesn't look great you can tighten the backlash (0.007in. min. I assume?) and see what it looks like.

Whatever you do it's worth the time and effort to get it as close to perfect as you can. I've seen guys say close enough, run it, but I wouldn't :)

Wally

Reactions: Apparition
Moved the pinion in 3 thou, how about this?

Screenshot_20220224-163233_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220224-163243_Gallery.jpg

Well you are deep as I would go on the drive side for sure but the coast is definitely better. What backlash did you end up with this setup?

You are fine tuning now which is good. Most shops would have called this one or the last one good and ran it. As much of a pain in the ass as it is, I would take subtract one thou and then run a pattern.... Then subtract one more thou and compare the patterns. I bet you will be money subtracting two thou from this last pattern. I know.... Pain in the ass! But you are there!

If I recall correctly you need the drive side to be the good side for whatever axle you're working on so make the drive side look good and the coast will be what it is but at least you know you can get it there.