Gear Pattern Check

DE04TJ

First off I wanted to say thank you to @hosejockey61 for your youtube videos and advice on these forums. I was able regear/rebuild my front end with no experience by watching your videos. You really take the time to explain how things work/what to look for and always share tips/tricks in your videos.

Now I am working on the Dana/Model 35 rear (which one is actually correct, yukon says model 35 but it has the dana logo?) and I seem to be struggling a bit.

New Yukon 456 gears and master kit
backlash is right at .006" and I was aiming for .008"

This was a used axle with a bad gearing setup so I started from scratch. This is my fourth pattern check after shimming. Can someone take a look at the pattern and let me know what I need to do? Comparing it to the pictures Ive seen, it looks like it needs to go deeper towards the flank? But based on the Yukon picture of heel/toe pattern the pinion is too deep even though the directions say disregard the heel/toe and focus on Face/Flank .

Thanks!
IMG_7753.jpg

IMG_7754.jpg

IMG_7755.jpg

Thanks! Ill do this and rerun the pattern tonight. Is it an issue that the coast side is favoring the heel?

Backlash is now a hair past .006" and the pre load is snug, could probably shim the NRG a bit more if needed.

Couldn't remove exactly .003" The shim kit I have for the pinion seems to vary by .005" (roughly .075" and .070" for example) so I removed a bit over .003" and I am using an old race as a setup race.

If I need to order more precise shims I will but what do you think now?

IMG_7762.jpg

IMG_7763.jpg

IMG_7764.jpg

I'm thinking it doesn't matter what this pattern looks like if you're using a used race for setup. That's a nogo for me. Your item looks good now but will change when you put a new race in. My recommendation is to use a new race if the same brand for best chance of manufacturing consistency. Even then, there are gear experts that say new bearings can vary greatly. I've always had good success using new race for setup as long as it's the same going in for final.

And to clarify, the pics as of can see them on my phone looks like you're a tad shallow now. I would find a combination of shims that lets you remove 2 thou. Again, that pattern will change with the new race but only one way to find out.

And to clarify, the pics as of can see them on my phone looks like you're a tad shallow now. I would find a combination of shims that lets you remove 2 thou. Again, that pattern will change with the new race but only one way to find out.

Man thanks for the quick response! Makes sense, ill pop in the new race and run it again, if its still too shallow ill get the shims. I really appreciate it!

Alright new race, adjusted backlash still a hair over .006". Last one for tonight, still too shallow? I tried to take closer up pictures.

and thanks again!

IMG_7774.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7776.jpg

Reactions: hosejockey61
If that is setup with the race that will be used, then I wouldn't touch it. That is a runnable pattern for sure. It isn't too shallow at all, if anything I would say you are probably 1 thou deep, but again, I would leave it as is. You're a lucky dog.

Reactions: AndyA
If that is setup with the race that will be used, then I wouldn't touch it. That is a runnable pattern for sure. It isn't too shallow at all, if anything I would say you are probably 1 thou deep, but again, I would leave it as is. You're a lucky dog.

Awesome, I am going to send it as is. It’ll work till it wont ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Thanks for the help

Gears seem to be doing fine after a few thousand miles! currently working on a 10.5, any advice for this pattern?

IMG_9192.jpeg

IMG_9191.jpeg

IMG_9190.jpeg

IMG_9188.jpeg

Better. Might open the backlash a touch if your shims allow it.

backlash is a hair under 10 thou now with good preload. It was actually 8 thou the previous run not 7 thou.

What range do you recommend for the 10.5, 6-10? Theres a very faint line at the top of the face on drive side. Thought it might be too shallow? Its more defined on coast side. Thinned out the paint a little more too.

IMG_9226.jpeg

IMG_9225.jpeg

IMG_9224.jpeg

IMG_9223.jpeg

IMG_9222.jpeg

backlash is a hair under 10 thou now with good preload. It was actually 8 thou the previous run not 7 thou.

What range do you recommend for the 10.5, 6-10? Theres a very faint line at the top of the face on drive side. Thought it might be too shallow? Its more defined on coast side. Thinned out the paint a little more too.

View attachment 519908

View attachment 519909

View attachment 519910

View attachment 519911

View attachment 519912

Can you take a pic of the pinion head looking straight at it?