Gears locking up when shifting

jeep.rookie

I have an 04 TJ with 100k miles. Just yesterday, I noticed somewhat of a squealing high pitched sound when I started the jeep. The noise continued as I backed out of the driveway. Then, as I started driving again, I didn’t really hear it anymore.

But when pressing the clutch and brake at stop lights, i would hear it again.

Today, it started doing the same thing, but suddenly it didn’t want to let me change gears. The stick would move freely in the neutral position, but it would not want to go into gear. And I would have to keep wiggling the stick around until it finally went into gear.

Even when I finally made it back to my driveway, as I was completely stopped, when I trued to get it back into first gear (or any other gear), I could hear what sounded like a clanking noise as the gear tried to lock into place.

Does anyone have a clue what this might be? And for what it’s worth, about a week or two ago, I noticed I was getting a slight bit of resistance only when shifting to third gear. I eventually just thought maybe it was in my head so didn’t think much of it. But it definitely seems to be connected to this problem.

Do you know if the clutch has ever been serviced? From those symptoms, I'd guess the throw out bearing is going bad. Are you able to shift gears more easily by rev matching with the throttle?

I’m not sure if the clutch has ever been serviced.

No, even the rev matching didn’t make it easier, but it’s primarily an issue when downshifting. I seem to be able to upshift more easily, but downshifting or going into gear while at a stop is causing the most problems.

38C8EDE6-9747-42CA-989C-B73E7043C94C.jpeg

This is from the 2004 FSM. It looks like the place to start is a fluid check. Make sure it’s full. If you don’t know when it was last changed, changing it is pretty easy. If that doesn’t fix it, that at least rules out fluid.

Reactions: Steel City 06
If you replace the fluid, use Redline MTL. TheMTL is a notoriously good fluid that significantly improves shift quality. I’ve used several kinds of fluid including Synchromesh, Royal Purple, etc. and the Redline is better.

I agree it could also be related to the clutch assembly. It may be worth picking up the parts for a clutch replacement. The good news is the factory LuK kit is only about $80 (you’ll want a different TOB most likely). The bad news is it takes all day (or even a weekend to do), or is a very large labor bill if you take it to a shop.

Reactions: joelachr
Redline MTL would be a great choice for that transmission but it's no miracle worker. It sure sounds like that transmission is past being helped by draining it and refilling with MTL. Couldn't hurt, it might help some, but don't get your hope up either.