Gen III Hemi Swap into TJ Reference Guide & Swap Info

PC1P's TJ Hemi Swap Adventures - Part I

Foreword

This isn't meant to be a "how to" guide (at least not yet), but rather a place where I can centralize thoughts, references, resources and information related to my swap, plus be a place where I can add in real-world issues and solutions. In time, this may transition to a How To, but for now we can just consider it a reference page. I didn't want this information to be cluttered among the pages of my build-thread, so I'm keeping it here for easier searching and reading.

Background
I love V8's. I love Jeeps. So naturally, I love-love V8 Jeeps :) I also love EFI and have been a popular resource for those folks swapping in Magnum 5.2/5.9L engines into just about everything. Truth be told, I have a love-hate relationship with the 4.0L. While I commend it's simplicity, longevity and reliable EFI, for me it's a dated platform with the sexiness and excitement of a Protestant nun. Don't get me wrong - I'd take a 4.0L over a carb'd SBC any day of the week, regardless of the power differences. But, the times they are a changin'...

For me, a modern Gen III or IV V8 in a Jeep built to maintain reliability and low-end torque is a very driver and trail-friendly combination that is hard to beat. For swap candidates, that essentially leaves two options: the GM or Mopar offerings. Why no Ford consideration? Well generally speaking, there are three reasons why no one (not even Ford guys) swap Coyote motors into Jeeps. First, they're wide and hard to package. Second, the transmission options suck. And third, Ford has a nasty habit of changing things every 4 years or so, so who knows how long any particular platform will be around.

The GM options, ubiquitously referred to as the "LS engines" (even though the "LS" moniker is bastardized a bit) are by far the most popular. The LM-series 4.8L and 5.3L engines are cheap, can be found in junkyards everywhere, are reliable and offer good gas mileage, and can make some serious power with nothing more than a $1200 eBay turbo. Transmission options are plentiful as well, since all modern GM offerings will bolt up to any old SBC pattern transmission, including the TH350, TH400, 700R4 and all 4L60/80 options. The swaps are also well documented and you can buy stand-alone or vehicle-specific wiring all over the web.

IMG_0357.jpg

[My freshly cleaned 2012 5.7L "Eagle" Hemi]

The Mopar options, aka the "G3 Hemi", were once considered a novelty swap. It wasn't even remotely as well documented as the LS-swaps, there were plenty of unknowns, and like every Mopar in the history of pushrods, they cost 2-3x as much to buy and build. But, time has been kind to the G3's and with used engines coming down in price to be competitive with the GM options, their popularity is quickly climbing. So much so now that even Holley has pledged their full support for the platform (quite the change since they were one of the original card-carrying members of the LS-Club!)

So why did I pick the G3 Hemi? A few reasons really and I will outline some of the advantages and I go through the swap. The biggest reason however is emissions compliance. I live in the Phoenix Metro area and have to abide by all ADEQ requirements, which oddly enough are even more stringent than CARB (Cali) emissions requirements. The G3 Hemi + the correct factory parts are a relatively easy way to ensure full-emissions compliance with a "factory installed look" for the foreseeable future. With something like the LS, there is notably more work and headache, so it wasn't something I'd consider on a dual-use rig.

IMG_0356.jpg

[65RFE 6-speed automatic transmission as purchased; note the 2x4 configuration - don't worry, I'll fix that]

Last edited:
PC1P's TJ Hemi Swap Adventures - Part Deux

So, what makes a Hemi and Hemi? And what is Gen 3? Good questions...

Gen I
Back in 1950, for the 1951 model year, Chrysler released what they called the "FirePower". DeSoto released the FireDome and Dodge released the Red Ram - all three were engines developed with hemispherical combustion chambers. These engines, made from '51-'58, were collectively known as the "Gen I Hemis". Although they had good power for the time (160-180 bhp) and even had some racing success with teams running modified Chrysler versions, Mama Mopar went to wedge-style blocks for the 1958 model year.

15754945656c519f6b34c9898IMG_3308.jpg

[a 1953 DeSoto FireDome, which sold on BringATrailer.com for $6777 on 12/18/19]

Gen II

It wasn't until 1964 that the Hemi that most are familiar with was born - the 426 cid, nicknamed the "Elephant". This engine, similar to the Gen I versions, sported hemispherical heads and was the first to use the now-trademarked Hemi namesake. Despite the lore and legacy, people are shocked to hear that only ~11,000 Hemis were ever made for consumer use.

street-hemi.jpg

[A 1966 426 Hemi, taken from Allpar.com - check out their Hemi pages for lots more info!]

Released in 1964, the first Hemi's were strictly for racing use only. In the 1964 Daytona 500, four Hemi-powered Mopars took 1st through 4th place! Richard Petty, in his famous #43 Plymouth, lapped the field. Not bad for the Hemi's first debut race.

The first "street" Hemi's did not hit the roads until 1965. For the 1965 racing season, NASCAR did not allow the 426 to compete since the "stock car" rules of NASCAR actually required a certain number of production cars to be made (and because the pansies at Ford complained about it!). By 1966, Mama Mopar was churning out production cars with factory Hemi options, though the street versions 'only' had 10.21:1 compression and smaller camshaft profiles.

These engines were notoriously under-rated, even in street form. Most real-world dyno runs showed gross output above the 425 bhp rating. The large castings allowed the engines to be bored and stroked to remarkably high displacements and their strength made them popular in street, track and strip applications. The last Gen II Hemi rolled out of the factory in 1971, though it retained it's legendary status due to plenty of continued usage in motorsport applications for decades.

Gen III
In 2002, the Gen III Hemi was debuted in the Ram 2500/3500 pickup line followed by the Ram 1500's in 2003. It boasted 345 hp and 375 lb-ft of torque and was immediately recognized as an excellent engine platform (it has made the "Ward's 10 Best Engine" list six times). By 2005, the 5.7L Hemi was available in pickup trucks as well as the LX-series of Chrysler-family cars.

Hweb4.jpg

[A 2003 5.7L Ram Hemi]

Some say that the Gen III Hemi, commonly short-handed as the "G3" to help differentiate it from the Gen-III GM motors, is not a "true" Hemi since it doesn't have a traditional hemispherical head design. These people usually eat their own boogers and think that boys shouldn't be allowed to play with dolls. Ignore them, you don't need that negativity in your life... :)

Much like the GM and Ford counterparts, the Gen III Hemis took advantage of engineering and computer-aided design advancements. As a result, the Gen III retains a traditional push-rod orientation but with significant flow improvements over the previous Gen II V8 engines (such as the Magnum).

How much flow? Well, the 2009+ "Eagle" 5.7 Hemi heads with VVT can flow 331 cfm out of the box (at 0.600" lift). Anyone who has ever built a traditional small-block V8 knows that these numbers are usually reserved for specific, race-prepped cylinder heads and cost $$$ to replicate (and in some instances, simply aren't achievable).

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
There are 4 major G3 Hemi engines: the original 5.7L, the 6.1L SRT, the 6.4L "Apache", and the 6.2L Supercharged SRT. There is also the 426 "Hellephant" (an homage to the original 426) and a 354 Drag Pak Supercharged motor. There is also the truck 6.4L Hemi - colloquially known as the "Big Truck Engine", which is similar to the 5.7L truck engines, but with different bore and strokes.

For the most part, those people with Jeeps looking to swap in a Gen III Hemi will mainly be looking at the 5.7L engines. These engines can be broken up into "early" 5.7L and "later" 5.7L categories, with some considering the later 5.7's to be "Gen IV" though this moniker hasn't caught on.

The 2003-2008 5.7's were rated at 340hp for the car-based engines, 335hp for the Jeep/Durango/Aspen applications, and 345hp for the Ram versions. Generally speaking, internally the motors are nearly identical but as one would expect, the different variants used different intake and exhaust manifolds, as well as different front accessories.

The Eagle has landed...
In 2009, the 5.7L Hemi received some major internal changes and an even larger use of technology. The block was new, the crank was upgraded, the cylinder heads were better and the cam got a tad more aggressive - all while sporting better power and economy. The 5.7L Ram engine - known as the "Eagle 5.7" was now rated at an honest 390 hp and 407 ft-lb of torque.

The biggest change was the use of VCT - variable cam timing. The ECM can now vary the valve opening to optimize flow throughout the RPM range. The use of MDS - or multi-displacement system technology was continued but improved upon and matched with the VCT for significant gains in economy. It isn't uncommon for swapped rigs to push 18 MPG in Jeeps (when coupled with the Dodge transmissions).

Later Eagle updates also included a "SRV" (short runner valve), which is essentially part of the Hemi "active intake". This valve provides a bypass for incoming air and moves it from the plenum directly to the cylinder heads. The shorter route allows for more power at higher RPMs while allowing the nice long, wide torque curves of a traditional long runner.

Last edited:
PC1P's TJ Hemi Swap Adventures - Part III

References & Helpful Links (in random order):

- https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/hemi-swap-resource-thread.37529/

- https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2019/08/unlocking-the-mysteries-of-the-5-7l-gen-iii-hemi/

Downloads (see attached files):
- NGC Pinout (Excel file)

- More to come as available

Gas Pedals
- All Hemis utilize a DBW (drive by wire) throttle body, though the early ones use what is known as a "bell crank" to generate the throttle position signal. There are two styles of connector that I've been able to find: Early (2003-2007 cars, 2002-2006 trucks) and Late (08+ cars, 07+ trucks). Functionally and physically they are similar but the connectors are different:

largeearlylatepedals_bb28ed1b-606f-4c40-98fa-e3e8c515bc46_2048x2048.jpeg

[Early and late style connectors - https://www.redline-motorsports.com/products/hly-558-418]

Transmission Info

- Most Hemi Ram and Jeep applications utilize the 545RFE 5-speed transmission. Following the traditional Dodge naming convention, the 545RFE is a 5-speed, 4-power rated, Rear-wheel drive, Fully Electronic transmission. Despite actually having six forward gear ratios, the transmission used only five forward gears in normal acceleration. A different 2nd gear was used for kickdown acceleration (often referred to as 2' or "two prime").

- In 2012, the 65RFE was introduced, although it was nothing more than a 545RFE with slightly modified gear ratios and different programming that allows the use of all available gear ratios in "autostick mode". The programming changes also allow use of the TCC (torque converter clutch) in all forward gears except first to help efficiency.

- Although all Gen III Hemis use an electronic throttle body, the 2003-2004 Ram trucks utilized a bellcrank (see photo above) and traditional throttle cable (Mopar # 53032456). This was likely due to the fact that the 4.7L motor still utilized the 45RFE transmission and thus needed a TV cable. Rather than have two different cables and two different firewall holes/configuration, they used what they had left to work through the change.

mop-53032456ae_cz_xl.jpg

[Early Hemi Bellcrank assembly]

- The cable went to the bellcrank assembly that housed the TPS (throttle position sensor) as well as the mechanical linkage to work with the early transmission throttle valve assemblies. For those looking to utilize a TF-727 or perhaps an A518 transmission, this is one of the few ways to get OEM-reliability with a modern Hemi swap.

DIYHemi has a great video about the factory bellcrank assemblies:

- More to be added as I find it!

ECM Differences:
The reason the LS was so popular was because the ECM's were more quickly cracked and there weren't as many variants to understand. Over time however, the factory Hemi ECM options were more understood and now many aftermarket companies are developing standalone units.

There are two major iterations of G3 Hemi ECMs: NGC and GPEC. Note that these are generic terms and there are many sub variants (e.g. NGC4 vs NGC4A)

All NGC (Next Generation Controller) variants utilize 4 plug connectors at the ECM: C1 thru C4. These ECM's are found on 2003-2010 cars and 2003-2012 trucks. Note that individual model year changes vary, so you'll need to physically check what ECM your donor vehicle has if you're buying a transition year rig. Truck ECM's are "standalone" and the case is designed to be installed in an open environment. The car NGC ECMs are designed to be flush or near-flush mounted.

C1: power/CANBUS/SCI/grounds
C2: engine controls (coils, sensors, injectors, TB, etc)
C3: cabin/chassis interface (gas pedals, auto trans user control, etc)
C4: transmission controls (this will be blank on ECMs that came with a manual transmission or with a NAG Auto trans)

s-l1600.jpg

[Rebuilt NGC controller for a 5.7L Ram - note the blank C4 port, suggesting this was for a manual trans truck]

On the GPEC (Global Powertrain Engine Controller), there are now only two 96-pin connectors rather than the 4-connectors of the NGC.

C1: cabin controls (power, grounds, CANBUS, starter-sense, communications, etc)
C2: ECM/Transmission

GPEC.png

[example of a GPEC ECM - note the consolidation of 4-ports to now just 2-ports]

DIYHemi has another great video here:

2015+ GPEC EMC Considerations:
2015+ GPEC ECM's are difficult to work with and at the time of this posting, are generally referred to as being "locked" (although many places can unlock). These require removal of some factory systems and also require some circuitry manipulation and circuitry emulators (such as starter-signal from what would be a factory BCM unit). I won't be dealing with a 2015+ ECM for the foreseeable future but will include any links or info as I run across it.

Capture.JPG

Standalone ECM Options:
The Holley Terminator series of standalone can now work with the 2009+ Eagle Hemis, plus they can control MSD, VCT and the SRV (short ram valve) on the active intake models. With nothing more than bolt-on headers, the 5.7L Eagle Hemis will consistently make 420-425 hp on the stock Holley tune.

- More to come...

Exhaust Manifolds & Factory Short Tube Headers:
Similar to the front timing covers and accessories, the exhaust manifolds are generally broken down into the following: LX/Car, Jeep and Truck. Within the LX/Car as well as the Jeep segments, there are also SRT versions.

Hemi Exhaust Manifolds.png

[Visual differences of the various manifolds available on the Gen III Hemi vehicles]

The early non-Eagle 5.7L heads have a standard square exhaust port. The early 6.X SRT motors had D-shaped exhaust windows that the later 2009+ Eagle 5.7L motors moved to. As a result, the later Eagle-style exhaust manifolds and headers typically fit just fine on early 6.X motors.

26210741.jpg

[Factory Jeep SRT 6.4L tubular manifold on left; Kooks long-tube header on right]

The SRT manifolds are excellent and flow very well. However, the car SRT manifolds (as well as the car 5.7L log manifolds) point the collector at the frame rails. The SRT tubular manifolds are very similar to the SRT car tubular manifolds, but work well in Jeep and other swaps. As you can see in the image above, the SRT Jeep manifolds are similar to the car version, but the front two ports are siamesed together to provide clearance for the mounts. The exit port is also in better position for most swaps.

dcc-77072462_xl.jpg

[Mopar Performance 6.4L Manifold Kit, PN 77072462AB, which sells for ~$335 for the complete set as of the time of this writing (Feb 2021)]

The SRT 6.4L Jeep tubular manifolds have been out of production for a long while. However, you can get a newer cast-style manifold directly from Mopar Performance that actually outflows the earlier tubular manifold and is less prone to cracking. The Mopar# is 77072462AB. I got a set from WholesaleMopar.com...

Another excellent DIYHemi video:

TJ Specific Information & Considerations (in random order):

*** Thanks to @StevieRT and @Wildman for catching an error; information has been edited as of 3/4/21 to reflect the updated and correct information

Instrument Cluster
Prior to the TJ, the Wrangler used analog signals for the gauges and lamp-drivers (typically a grounding switch) for the idiot lights. This means that each gauge had its own wire going from the gauge, thru the firewall, to its respective sending unit. By the time the TJ rolled out, there were new ways of communicating between the ECM/engine, the dashboard and other networks in the vehicle.

The concept, known as a "bus", used a modulated single or twisted pair(s) of wires to communicate via a digital protocol to the dash cluster (officially called the EMIC, or Electro-Mechanical Instrument Cluster). Essentially, the ECM was reading sensors/senders on the engine for engine control and was then transmitting that information to the dashboard without additional sensors or wiring.

Technology at the time was quickly developing and rapidly being implemented across all vehicle manufacturers. As a result, the TJ uses 3 different bus/network protocols: CCD, PCI, and CAN bus. For the TJ, the breakdown is typically as follows:

1996-00: CCD - [Chrysler Collision Detection] - despite the name, it has nothing to do with vehicle safety. The "collision" in the name refers to signal collisions. It is a clever system that uses a twisted-pair to communicate across multiple bus modules (such as the ECM, gauges, TCM, ABS, etc). Each module "listens" for relevant messages and ignores messages that don't apply.

*Note about SCI*
SCI, or serial communication interface, was used on many early fuel injection systems, even prior to OBD-II. It is a diagnostic interface, not a true bus or network protocol. You sometimes see CCD confused for SCI and vice versa since they were both used at the same time.

2001-06: PCI - [Programmable Communication Interface] - follows the SAE J1850 protocol and allows communications across networks via a single wire. Unlike CCD alone, the PCI bus was OBD-II compliant and utilized SAE protocols, which allowed further simplification of the networks (and diagnostic tools) across multiple-makes.

Note about CAN bus (aka "CAN BUS", "CANBUS") - [Controller Area Network] - CAN uses twisted pair wiring to communicate between modules on the bus. No TJ came factory with CANBUS gauges, so if you intend to run a 2006+ Ram ECM, you will need to prepare to replace the gauges (or use a CAN to PCI converter) accordingly.

All 96-00 TJ's will need to swap their dash (if running an 02-05 PCI HEMI ECM) or run aftermarket gauges (for all 06+ Hemi ECMs). For 2001-2006 TJs, they should in theory work with early PCI Hemi ECMs (early Ram ECMs (02 to early 05) for the 5.7L Hemi were PCI). Note here that the '05 Ram model year was a transition year and some of the later 05 Hemi ECMs were the later CAN bus protocol. The later-2005 NGC up to the transition to GPEC (2010 for cars and 2012 for trucks) remained CAN bus. The GPEC should also be CAN bus but I believe is a different protocol and am not sure on if it will work without some modifications (I'm checking into it!)

Some links if you're really, really bored:
https://www.cnblogs.com/shangdawei/p/3570546.htmlhttps://www.autonerdz.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/dcx_network_ppt.pdf
Fuel System & Emissions
97-04 TJs will need to swap their fuel pump out for a 05-06 unit due to pressure requirements. *Note* you do not need to replace your tank or fuel pump module, just the electric-pump inside. However, if you intend to keep the TJ 100% emissions compliant, you will need to utilize an 05-06 fuel tank and NVLD (natural vacuum leak detection) system.

- More info to come...

Attachments

• NGC Pinouts.xlsx
    95.2 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
PC1P's TJ Hemi Swap Adventures - Part IV

Disassembly

As they say, "it takes a village"...

We had all hands on deck to help pull the drivetrain and front clip off. After about 4-1/2 hours, we had everything done and we called it a day.
IMG_1728.JPG

[@Dale W taking it all in]

IMG_1730.JPG

[Parts pile got big real fast!]

IMG_1732.JPG

[4.0 and AX-15 was snatched at the same time - the NP231 and driveshafts were removed separately to make engine/trans removal easier to manage]

Preparation

Now that the heavy (pre)lifting is done, it's now time to begin prepping the frame and engine bay for the swap and start gathering some of the smaller parts I will need...

IMG_1752.JPG

Some of the stuff is obvious - ECM and engine harness for example. Other items, such as the clutch master and slave, are unique to my swap since I'm going from a manual trans to auto trans. Most of the items to be stripped are straightforward - either unscrewing, unbolting, or unclipping.

IMG_1766.JPG

[Factory 3-pedal setup; an automatic trans brake pedal has already been ordered]

In case you missed it above, all Gen III Hemi motors utilize drive-by-wire (DBW) throttle bodies and gas pedals. As a result, I needed to remove my pedal. I had previously purchased a 2016 Grand Cherokee gas pedal as the shape and size more closely matched the OEM TJ pedal. I took some measurements and hope to get the new pedal as close to factory position and stroke as possible.

61I8uGnThnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I also ordered a TeraFlex 4877480 Gas Pedal Bracket Kit (TJ Hemi) from Amazon. It's supposed to be used with 2005 Grand Cherokee DBW pedals but they looked near identical to the 2016 Grand Cherokee pedal I ordered so I figured I'd give it a try and see if it works (or if I can make it work). Important note - I have been told that all DBW pedals utilize the same 3-mounting hole spacing as long as they are from vehicles with non-adjustable pedals. I will confirm once this arrives...

s-l500.jpg

[Firewall clutch slave block off plate - Mopar PN: 52104013]

Removal of the clutch master leaves a big hole in the firewall. Luckily, factory firewall block off plates are readily available on eBay and in your local junk yards. I found this one on eBay for $22 shipped to my door. It's a little pricey for a piece of plastic, but since there aren't any local Pick-&-Pull yards with Jeeps, and since those yards with TJ parts are super high priced anyways, it was the best option for me.

s-l1600.jpg

[97-02 shifter with floor plate - purchased off of eBay]

While I was shopping on eBay, I took advantage of a 10% discount code off of automotive parts and purchased an auto shifter. This was $49 + free shipping. This seemed more reasonably priced than the plastic plug for the firewall, plus it came with the floor plate (which were being sold for $25-29 by themselves).

Motor Mounts
I decided to go with the Holley BlackHeart motor mounts. After talking with the customer service reps are Holley, I liked their engine location, mounting style and overall beef of their mounts. Holley also has customer service that is unlike any other in the industry.

IMG_1751.JPG

The Holley mounts utilize the factory 4.0L mounts but require some trimming. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. I used a 4-1/2" angle grinder but if I were to do it again, I'd use my Sawzall with a 6-8" carbide bit. I think the Sawzall would be easier and provide a straighter cut. YMMV of course...

IMG_1774.JPG

The mounts index themselves using the factory bolt hole (Holley provides new hardware to secure). Take your time here, taking off material as needed, and it should go smooth. Holley suggests that you bolt in the motor (while being supported from underneath) to verify fitment and position of the mounts. Once fitment is verified, you are instructed to tack weld the mounts back in place, remove the motor and trans, then fully burn the mounts to the frame.

IMG_1781.JPG

More to come...

Last edited:

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire & Attention Whore
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Okay with all the talking about V-8 swaps I know the Dodge magnum V-8 was discussed but Dodge dropped the Magnum V-8 line in 2003 with 2002 really being the -last year to find the 5.2 or 5.9 engines. So if you own a 2003-06 TJ and want to keep it emissions legal by Federal Standards you either have to do a Hemi or LS swap.

Here is a thread on JF with some good information:
https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/the-adventure-begins.343741/

Businesses that offer parts for the Hemi swap:

https://redrock4wd.com/

[URL][URL][URL]https://redrock4wd.com/conversions[/URL][/URL][/URL]

[URL][URL][URL]https://jeepspeedshop.com/[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Another thread on JF of a person who did a Hemi Swap. Starts about page 73 in his build thread.

https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/nashville-tjs-coilover-build.3838225/page-73#replies

I don't have a Hemi in my TJ because back when I was looking into engine swaps a take out Hemi was still $8-10K for a engine & tranny combo. Yes I would have loved to have a Hemi as they make more power STOCK than the Dodge magnum V-8's but I'm hoping my stroker V-8 will make north of 400 HP & TQ. What I don't have is things like the 5,6 or 8 speed transmission option. And if you are following Tox's thread on his LS swap there is a lot more to it than some think.

[URL][URL][URL]https://wranglertjfo...her-torque-a-streetable-lj-engine-swap.36240/[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Or there is Motormick's thread on his LS swap.

[URL][URL][URL]https://wranglertjfo...-ls-conversion-with-nv3550-and-jk241or.34980/[/URL][/URL][/URL]

So look thru all the info before you make your choices as there are plenty out there.

Last edited:
Okay with all the talking about V-8 swaps I know the Dodge magnum V-8 was discussed but Dodge dropped the Magnum V-8 line in 2003 with 2002 really being the -last year to find the 5.2 or 5.9 engines. So if you own a 2003-06 TJ and want to keep it emissions legal by Federal Standards you either have to do a Hemi or LS swap.

Here is a thread on JF with some good information:

https://tinyurl.com/y8voq59p

Businesses that offer parts for the Hemi swap:

https://redrock4wd.com/

https://redrock4wd.com/conversions
https://redrock4wd.com/v8-conversion-parts
https://jeepspeedshop.com/
https://jeepspeedshop.com/product-category/vehicle/tj-jeeps/
TeraFlex still offers just a few items for the swap.

https://teraflex.com/shop/category?category_0=Engine+&+Underhood
Another thread on JF of a person who did a Hemi Swap. Starts about page 95 in his build thread.

https://tinyurl.com/y99anjn3
I don't have a Hemi in my TJ because back when I was looking into engine swaps a take out Hemi was still $8-10K for a engine & tranny combo. Yes I would have loved to have a Hemi as they make more power STOCK than the Dodge magnum V-8's but I'm hoping my stroker V-8 will make north of 400 HP & TQ. What I don't have is things like the 5,6 or 8 speed transmission option. And if you are following Tox's thread on his LS swap there is a lot more to it then some think.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...her-torque-a-streetable-lj-engine-swap.36240/
Or there is Motormick's thread on his LS swap.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/00-sahara-ls-conversion-with-nv3550-and-jk241or.34980/
So look thru all the info before you make your choices as there are plenty out there.

Wildman, Thank you for putting this together! Lots of good info!

Reactions: Wildman
Wildman, Thank you for putting this together! Lots of good info!

Just trying to help others out. Since there had been so much discussion about swapping the magnum V-8 I figured the Hemi needed a little exposure. Not discounting the LS swap but if I was to be doing a swap right now I'd be giving the Hemi a hard hard look right now.

One thing to note is that if you have a 2002 or older then you will also have to change out your dash to communicate with the Hemi engine.

Reactions: motomick76
Any opinion on Red Rock conversion stuff vs Novak or others?

From what I have heard as far as for the Hemi side things Red Rock is suppose to be REALLY good. But I don't have any first had experiance with either company.

For other items I have always used Advance Adapters. The headers, motor mounts and brass radiator I have for my Magnum V-8 swap are all from AA. I used their parts on a few of my other CJ's I've owned.

I think it just comes down to which company you choose and then I'd try to stick with them for parts as much as possible.

Didn't mean to make more work for you. Was just trying to share the other option since the magnum V-8 or LS seem to be all that has been discussed.

Reactions: Chris
Any opinion on Red Rock conversion stuff vs Novak or others?

Red Rock has some good items- steering relocation kit for using headers on Hemi, and a nice book on the swap... I had problems with them on delivery of harness. after 6 months I told them to stuff it and moved on to JeepSpeed shop where I had just as bad of an experience... If I were to make 1 recomendation- use Chris at Hotwire Auto. They are the place for your harness needs and he will respond to emails and texts in a professional manner.

Reactions: Wildman and Chris
Red Rock has some good items- steering relocation kit for using headers on Hemi, and a nice book on the swap... I had problems with them on delivery of harness. after 6 months I told them to stuff it and moved on to JeepSpeed shop where I had just as bad of an experience... If I were to make 1 recomendation- use Chris at Hotwire Auto. They are the place for your harness needs and he will respond to emails and texts in a professional manner.

Great information, thanks for sharing this 👍

I've enjoyed reading your build thread, and this thread is a clearinghouse of information for anyone contemplating a Hemi conversion. Thanks for this.
I have a 2006 LJ. Being I live in California and have to deal with CARB, would you agree that the drive train, ECM, etc., from a 2009-2012 Ram would be a good choice?

Reactions: pc1p
You
I've enjoyed reading your build thread, and this thread is a clearinghouse of information for anyone contemplating a Hemi conversion. Thanks for this.
I have a 2006 LJ. Being I live in California and have to deal with CARB, would you agree that the drive train, ECM, etc., from a 2009-2012 Ram would be a good choice?
You could use, legally, an 06-14 ECM. That said, an 06-12 Ram NGC ECM will make your life vastly easier than if you went with a 2011+ car GPEC ECM. Being that yours is an 06, the swap is greatly simplified over mine since you already have the proper fuel and EVAP system.

Reactions: SoCalGlide