General maintenance

grabeb

TJ Enthusiast
Picked this 01 TJ up two weeks ago and I'm slowly going through my normal routine for cars i buy.

I've ordered oil and picked up oil filter. I'll be going with the Amazon 10w-30 synthetic as I've heard great stuff about it being better than M1.

I'm looking at ordering plugs, will be thing with MGKs, but what about wires? I don't see any listed anywhere. I see an ignition coil pack being listed..... does this go on the plugs? I hate that I'm asking this, but i guess i haven't really looked that close to the plugs in the engine....i could swear i had seen a plug wire, but maybe i caught glimpse of something else. How often should i change that if that's what it is.

I'm sitting at 123,000 miles and I'll look in manual to try to see what maintenance it calls for as well.

I would also like to swap out the rest of the fluids, I've used royal purple or amsoil on my other vehicle diffs, can't recall weight 75 maybe? Is that OK in these? What about transmission and transfer case? Anything special?

I also have been running BG products MOA, EPR and 44k in my lower mileage vehicles.... anyone have experience with these products? The EPR is added to the oil right before a change to basically clean the crap out. The MOA is an additive to oil. 44k goes in tank. I'm guessing 123000 miles is still low enough mileage that should be safe, but thoughts?

I've also read about mopars combustion chamber cleaner, so might grab some as well.

There no problems or codes, i just like to cover the basis.

I would skip all the extra stuff and just stick with the basics. I would change all the fluids and stick with regular oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid. These jeeps don't need special or synthetic stuff they are basicallya tractor engine. Some, including myself, believe synthetic oil causes the rear main seal to leak. Should prob dump the coolant and flush it too. Zerex G05 is the most recommended.

Reactions: grabeb
Hard to find non synthetic oil. That's why i just ordered it. I suppose i can run to Walmart and look. O'Reilly never seems to have and is over priced on oil. My understanding with synthetic is it it leaks switch back. As for royal purple/ amsoil gear oil, i bought a case from a friend who works there so i have plenty of it. I used it in my 12 yukon. I plan on the coolant as well.

Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 Best TJ oil on the market :)
I cant believe you cant find 10w-30 conventional high mileage oil? 99.9% of those on the forum use it?
I have to pay a hefty premium in Australia for 10w-30 conventional oil and even more for High Mileage, you can get it by the Hopper load from Wally world and still get change out of a lobster. :)
Lobster: Ausssie slang for our $20 bill (so The Boogieman doesn't have to use google it) :)

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Keep in mind there is more in play here than how many miles are on the Jeep. You now have a vehicle that is 20+ years old. Gaskets and seals harden; parts rust and seize up; and hoses/belts crack. The typical places to start are:

- Fluid change (Every one of them!)
- Ignition tune-up
- Cooling system refresh
- Steering system refresh
- Brake system refresh

Obviously the term "refresh" is vague, so only you can determine what your comfort level is with those items. That said, ignoring any of the above can either leave you stranded, or result in expensive repairs later.

Last edited:
Picked this 01 TJ up two weeks ago and I'm slowly going through my normal routine for cars i buy.

I also have been running BG products MOA, EPR and 44k in my lower mileage vehicles.... anyone have experience with these products? The EPR is added to the oil right before a change to basically clean the crap out. The MOA is an additive to oil. 44k goes in tank. I'm guessing 123000 miles is still low enough mileage that should be safe, but thoughts?
I never run any oil "cleaners" in older vehicles. It could cause the old seals to leak IMO.