Georgia Georgia Traverse

SouthernLJ

TJ Enthusiast
I'm thinking about doing the Georgia Traverse this year. I drive an 06 LJ with an unknown lift (around 3.5/4", I believe) and 33's, it's my daily driver.

The Georgia Traverse is 390 miles long, 226 unpaved, 164 paved. It seems to be well traveled and documented. I've been looking into it this past week and to me, it looks very doable in my Jeep. It looks like most of the Georgia members are from North GA and was wondering if any members have done this trip. I'm about 20 minutes from the GA/FL line so I've never really been up that way. The most I've done in my Jeep is go down to the river and cruise around on some of the extremely mild trails, so this would be a good experience for me, IMO.

Has anyone done this trip and have any input?

https://www.georgiaoverland.com/map.html

Interesting. I've done a lot of trails up in the Blairsville and Helen areas but wasn't aware of the GA Traverse till you posted it.

I have done a few of the tracks in the northeast part of GA. Great scenery but not very difficult.

That's cool, thanks. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. Something fun to do that the GF will enjoy. GA Traverse is supposed to take 2.5 to 3 days, so I had planned on camping along the way. The fact that it's not very difficult makes me want to do it that much more. Breaking my DD on the trail several hours from home doesn't sound very exciting, lol.

That's cool, thanks. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. Something fun to do that the GF will enjoy. GA Traverse is supposed to take 2.5 to 3 days, so I had planned on camping along the way. The fact that it's not very difficult makes me want to do it that much more. Breaking my DD on the trail several hours from home doesn't sound very exciting, lol.
you could just come up here and drive coopers creek and rock creek wma's on the Chattahoochee national forest and not drive the same trail twice for 2-3 days. plus you have trout streams and free or pay camping areas .... not alot of deep mud just some dirt roads with a few creek crossings and beautiful scenery ! there also the Appalachian trail and some short hikes to waterfalls and such

Reactions: AndyG
you could just come up here and drive coopers creek and rock creek wma's on the Chattahoochee national forest and not drive the same trail twice for 2-3 days. plus you have trout streams and free or pay camping areas .... not alot of deep mud just some dirt roads with a few creek crossings and beautiful scenery ! there also the Appalachian trail and some short hikes to waterfalls and such

I'm adding that to my list, thanks!

I just learned about the Georgia traverse a few days ago. I’ve been looking for some close by trails or someone to ride with.

Most of the GA Traverse can be done in a 2 wheel drive vehicle with adequate clearance. There will be a few rough spots and some water crossings. The western 1/3 is more paved than the eastern 2/3s. The Georgia Traverse shared some roads with the Smokey Mountains 500, which goes through GA, TN, and NC. Both routes utilize forest service roads. Some are well maintained. Others are primitive. You should have a great time. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/smokey-mountain-500.926507/

He's so ornery a group won't let him ride with them!!!!
aint that the truth ! :ROFLMAO: no I love doing those trail trips. my brother has a yj but its just about a mall crawler " if i take my jeep off the pavement it will get DIRTY ". shit I bought mine to stay dirty ! I like going during the week because it aint so crowded....