Gladiator has too many compromises?

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of Hoovie - and he's got some on the ball, as well. So I was certainly interested to see what his thoughts on the Gladiator was and why he was getting rid of it after around a year and 3k miles.

I still can’t fathom why anyone would pay this much money for a midsize truck when you could get an F150 EcoBoost for the same price I assume.
Still holding out hope that Jeep comes out with that J6 concept.

jeep-j6-25.jpg

I think that might be enough to get me to trade in my M3 and the TJ.

Still holding out hope that Jeep comes out with that J6 concept.

View attachment 201943

I think that might be enough to get me to trade in my M3 and the TJ.
x2

I still can’t fathom why anyone would pay this much money for a midsize truck when you could get an F150 EcoBoost for the same price I assume.

I think it comes down to you can have a jeep or a truck.... So you pick both.

Also, it's a lifestyle vehicle.
1604855901708.png

x2

I think it comes down to you can have a jeep or a truck.... So you pick both.

Also, it's a lifestyle vehicle.
View attachment 201944
No disputing that, but for me personally, I would just use that money to buy a F150 and a Jeep to trailer it with.

I mean with that break over angle, you aren’t going to be doing any serious rock crawling in that Gladiator. Overlanding I guess, if that’s your thing.

No disputing that, but for me personally, I would just use that money to buy a F150 and a Jeep to trailer it with.
💯 percent agree. I’ve never been a fan of any midsized truck. Especially not a $50k one. I have an F150, and it will soon become my tow vehicle for the Jeep (once I get a trailer).

💯 percent agree. I’ve never been a fan of any midsized truck. Especially not a $50k one. I have an F150, and it will soon become my tow vehicle for the Jeep (once I get a trailer).

Yep, I am planning on buying a F150 as well for the same reason, so I can trailer my TJ.

Reactions: TWiG01 and Alex01
It may just be me but if I wanted a truck I’d get a truck. And if I wanted a Jeep I’d get a Jeep. The Gladiator seems to really be neither. Other truck brands have much better trucks especially for the price.
This for one. The cab is too long for either, and the bed is too short for a truck. OTOH, I'm not a fan of the GARGANTUAN size "full-sized" trucks have become - "mid-sized" is almost as big as "full-sized" used to be. Of course, I don't want anything with a touch screen in the dash.

This for one. The cab is too long for either, and the bed is too short for a truck. OTOH, I'm not a fan of the GARGANTUAN size "full-sized" trucks have become - "mid-sized" is almost as big as "full-sized" used to be. Of course, I don't want anything with a touch screen in the dash.
I don't share your hatred of the touch screen console, but I also miss the day of true compact trucks. I hate how huge vehicles are these days.

I actually like mid sized trucks. But I could see what Chris is saying. I don’t do much towing but love the convenience of a truck. I have a Canyon Denali quiet on the road and fits in my garage perfectly. I just can’t see spending 50k on a off road anything and scratch it all to heck on tight trails off road. That’s why most are just mall crawlers I guess. Who wants to listen to big off-road tires and stuff just to drive on the interstate 99% of the time. I won’t lose sleep at night if I scratch up my old TJ that’s what’s it’s for.

I don't share your hatred of the touch screen console, but I also miss the day of true compact trucks. I hate how huge vehicles are these days.
I do too. "Mid-sized" is the the new "Full-sized", and you can't buy a "compact" truck anymore that I'm aware of. I'd want a single cab, 8 or 9 foot bed, or a 6 foot in a true compact. But I utterly refuse to own any vehicle with an "infotainment" system - until they get away from this stupidity, I'll drive used. They probably never will get away from it, and that's OK, I figure I have about 26 more years on this planet, I'll get by!

It may just be me but if I wanted a truck I’d get a truck. And if I wanted a Jeep I’d get a Jeep. The Gladiator seems to really be neither. Other truck brands have much better trucks especially for the price.
But, but, what if I want a truck with a M/T. Used to be you could get a ram diesel with one. But they killed that a few years ago.

I’ve owned a Gladiator for 1 week. I bought it because it was what my wife wanted. It was expensive, mainly because we bought a Rubicon. I compared the price to similar Colorados and Rangers and thought that Jeep was competitive. I sold my 2002 Chevy dually diesel as part of the plan. I used to have big toy haulers but now the only thing I do that I need a truck for is take the garbage to the dump. The Jeep will be fine for that. My wife and I plan to flat tow the Jeep behind our motor home for some of our trips. Jeeps are great for that. I am thrown off a little by the complexity of the systems. I need to read and practice before I drive this on a trail. Still, thinking about the cost, I hope my wife never learns what I’ve spent on my TJ. One more thing. The Gladiator is a chick magnet. I have to keep the doors locked when I am out and about or some 2 legged dear will try to jump in the cab with me.

Last edited:
I have an F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and while it is amazing, I would get rid of it for a Gladiator in a second if it would tow my camper. My camper weighs a touch over what the Gladiator is rated for and, as always, my wife wants bigger, not smaller so I'm screwed. 😎

I'll be trading in my Ram 1500 Rebel when my custom ordered Gladiator Rubicon comes in. I'm keeping the TJ for tighter/rougher trail duty, and the Gladiator will be my daily driver/casual offroader.

Why? I put more miles on the TJ this year than the Rebel. Top down and looking for reasons to go for a drive.