Go to a reputable tire shop

gregc291

Had my tires balanced at a tire choice down the road since my local shop was closed. Something didn't feel right after driving it. Brought it to my usual place. They found about 2 pounds of weights on the tires. Check out this one below. Going to ask for my money back, and won't be going anywhere but my local tire shop anymore.

IMG_3482.jpg

Holy smokes...looks like their balance machine needs calibration

My local Wally World did the same thing on my Diesel Dodge pickup. Put so many weights on the one wheel that I couldn't the trim ring back on. When I took it to my local tire shop for a better job of balancing, they discovered I had a bent rim. I could see it wobble on the tire balance machine. Wally World...never again!

Either that technician was never trained or didn't give two sh*ts! Just looking at the display on the balance machine and slapping on weight after weight after weight until it got down to zero.

That's amazing

Either that technician was never trained or didn't give two sh*ts! Just looking at the display on the balance machine and slapping on weight after weight after weight until it got down to zero.

That's amazing
Yeah I couldn't believe it, I brought the weights back to them haha

Got to wonder how some of these people get jobs? Like Dougj 169 I have a bubble-view static balancer and I take my time with good results. Another plus is not having to worry about over-torqued sometimes cross-threaded lug nuts jacking up the lugs themselves which some shops are good at.

All depends on person running the machine, shop/place really has no bearing on what he/she does to your wheel/tire. I have had high end reputable shops(reffered by others who never had problems and were very satisfied) try to stupid shit to high end 3pc wheels. Any idiot or someone who doesn't give a shit can turn a steak into a soup sandwich even with the most advanced equipment.

That should only happen ONCE. If that "technition" still has his job the day after you bring that mess back in then it is the shop. If trained correctly in the first place ....
But he might have told the boss he ran that same balance at his last job. Seems as though anything requiring a wrench, hammer, or ladder is nearly impossible for people to do anymore.

That should only happen ONCE. If that "technition" still has his job the day after you bring that mess back in then it is the shop. If trained correctly in the first place ....
But he might have told the boss he ran that same balance at his last job. Seems as though anything requiring a wrench, hammer, or ladder is nearly impossible for people to do anymore.
I agree. Told that shop at the end of the day they should at the least refund me the balance job and slap the tech with the bag of lead I brought him

I have a. Old bubble balancer and I take my time with it. It works as well or better than most machines

Indeed! Plus it's ready whenever I am! I'm still using and old bubble balancer made by Bear Alignment Tool Co.

Of course I still have my old Coats manual tire changer in the shop as well! (y)

Reactions: Squatch
I know back in 2000 when I bought my 01 Tahoe I put 20's on it( fit the truck and not rubber band tires) ride was actually nicer than with stock 16" wheels. I went to 3 different reputable dealers/shops to have them balanced because I had a slight vibration around 55-60mph. All 3 said they balanced and re balanced them(with minimum and shit loads of stick on weights) and told me it's just the wheels or tires needs to be replaced. But none would guarantee which it was, even though on the balancer they looked like they were sitting still not a wiggle at all, dead straight.

On my way out deciding I guess I'll just get both replaced younger guy came up to me who had like 22's with rubber bands on some little car. And asked me did they get it straight cause he seen it go in and out a couple times. Told him no and what they and others had said. He give me a # and said give him a call he'll get you right. So I did when I left, sounded like a lil kid on phone but he said sure come on by. Couldn't have been 18/19 yrs old and had what looked to be an old discarded Wally World balancer in his garage. I thought ok this is gonna be a laugh. Told him what was going on and what everyone else said and he went from there. Test drove,pulled, re-balanced, test drove,pulled , re-balanced ,test drove came back and handed me keys and said try it. Butter nut smooth !!! Told me sorts what he did not that I understood it all then but he got it right. He told me he labeled each rim as to what corner they need to be on and $20 later(wish it was that cheap now) I was done.

Just sold that truck a few months ago and still had same rims, quite a few sets of tires later but when I took them to get tires replaced I told them wheels need to go back on same position they come off of. Some listened and some didn't but took it back in a put them where they said to go and all was always fine for the 18yrs I had it. But if somehow 2 tires got mixed up it had the same vibration. Why? IDK You wouldn't think it would make that kind of difference but it did. How he knew how to fix it when noone else could? Hell if I know. But as I said it's not the equipment but the operator.

Sorry for the long story, guess I miss the old girl now. 😢 Hard to believe when I bought those KMC wheels I wa told I would be replacing them in a couple years because their chrome is cheap and peels off in no time. !8 yrs later and with a good polish/wax they looked almost as good as new ones now.

IMG_8765.JPG

I know back in 2000 when I bought my 01 Tahoe I put 20's on it( fit the truck and not rubber band tires) ride was actually nicer than with stock 16" wheels. I went to 3 different reputable dealers/shops to have them balanced because I had a slight vibration around 55-60mph. All 3 said they balanced and re balanced them(with minimum and shit loads of stick on weights) and told me it's just the wheels or tires needs to be replaced. But none would guarantee which it was, even though on the balancer they looked like they were sitting still not a wiggle at all, dead straight.

On my way out deciding I guess I'll just get both replaced younger guy came up to me who had like 22's with rubber bands on some little car. And asked me did they get it straight cause he seen it go in and out a couple times. Told him no and what they and others had said. He give me a # and said give him a call he'll get you right. So I did when I left, sounded like a lil kid on phone but he said sure come on by. Couldn't have been 18/19 yrs old and had what looked to be an old discarded Wally World balancer in his garage. I thought ok this is gonna be a laugh. Told him what was going on and what everyone else said and he went from there. Test drove,pulled, re-balanced, test drove,pulled , re-balanced ,test drove came back and handed me keys and said try it. Butter nut smooth !!! Told me sorts what he did not that I understood it all then but he got it right. He told me he labeled each rim as to what corner they need to be on and $20 later(wish it was that cheap now) I was done.

Just sold that truck a few months ago and still had same rims, quite a few sets of tires later but when I took them to get tires replaced I told them wheels need to go back on same position they come off of. Some listened and some didn't but took it back in a put them where they said to go and all was always fine for the 18yrs I had it. But if somehow 2 tires got mixed up it had the same vibration. Why? IDK You wouldn't think it would make that kind of difference but it did. How he knew how to fix it when noone else could? Hell if I know. But as I said it's not the equipment but the operator.

Sorry for the long story, guess I miss the old girl now. 😢 Hard to believe when I bought those KMC wheels I wa told I would be replacing them in a couple years because their chrome is cheap and peels off in no time. !8 yrs later and with a good polish/wax they looked almost as good as new ones now.

View attachment 100824
I guess he knew something we didn't! Interesting story, nonetheless.