Going from 10" wide to 12"

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
The POs tires on my TJ have around 20% tread remaining so I'm looking for new shoes.

I want to replace my 10" tires with 12" wide tires.
Is gas mileage with a 2 inch wider tire going to be a killer due to more drag and weight, or will the 12" tires have little effect on mpg increase?

This for my DD, 31s on 15 " rims, photo shows current 10" tires on 8" wide wheels
20180521_184104.jpg

Last edited:
12" wide tires won't handle as well on the street, especially in the rain. However, I don't think you'll take a MPG hit. You may notice it a bit more sluggish off-the-line I would think, only because I imagine the 12" wide tires would be a little heavier.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Gotcha, that makes sense Chris.
I think a 12 inch tire gives a TJ a beefier stance, I can probably handle any mpg sacrifice, thanks for your input.
Now to go tire n wheel looking :)

What kind of tires are you going to run at 31x12.5? Boggers?

Toyo makes an Open Country MT in 31x12.5

Weight will be a difference, about 8-10 pounds/tire depending on the tire you're coming from and going too.

You'll want backspacing in the 3.75-4" range for a 12.5" wide tire.

Will definitely make your stance look beefier!

Kinda like Duratracs, still researching and getting opinions.... open to suggestions

You choices are going to be limited. It's an odd size that isn't available in a Duratrac.

I run a 33x12.5r15 BFG KO and I have no handling problems. As for the gas mileage, I don't check, ignorance is bliss!! I too am looking into tires and kinda like falken wildpeak AT. the 33/12.5 go for about $151 on amazon, and they have had some pretty descent reviews.

12" wide tires won't handle as well on the street, especially in the rain. However, I don't think you'll take a MPG hit. You may notice it a bit more sluggish off-the-line I would think, only because I imagine the 12" wide tires would be a little heavier.
x2 I switched from 10.5 to 12.5 and the biggest difference I noticed was that the jeep seemed to wonder more. Now that I have drove it a bit I am used to it and its not a big deal.

Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
>x2 I switched from 10.5 to 12.5 and the biggest difference I noticed was that the jeep seemed to wonder more. Now that I have drove it a bit I am used to it and it's not a big deal.<
I noticed exactly the same thing. And it's not a big deal.

Reactions: JMT
The wandering thing is something I didn’t notice moving from a 31x10.5 to 33x12.5. I think the Emerson is I was dealing with a shimmy on the 10.5’s, so I was obsessing about that and could never get a shop to balance it out. New tires were the answer for me. The 33x12.5 drive like a dream. The look is killer too and the performance is fantastic. @KCsTJ has driven my TJ too, and I His, so we both know what we’re into here!

Reactions: FTI76 and KCsTJ
Roger that @JMT, I love the look of your red beast on 12" tires, but @Rob5589 has driven an SE a long time and he makes a good point. The 2.5 should stay light as possible for best performance so ugh, at least i have a.month or 2 to chew on it

Come on, we all know there is only one right answer here.

9b55c62e61ffe8928a7114a67d6ee013.jpg

TSL Thornbird, LT 31.00 x 12.50-15, Bias Ply

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Datman and derekmac
The real question is, do you have any fillings you want to keep? It's a bias ply tire after all so it'll be square every morning.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I was wrong about the Toyo's in a 31x12.5 @KCsTJ. Sorry about that! What about a 32x11.5". Plenty of options there!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...5&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

The Cooper STT Pro's are listed for $176 at Tire Rack and I bet Discount would beat them easy. Probably get in a set for $165/tire. But I don't know if you are looking for an MT or an AT. I don't think my Cooper MT's are noisy at all. There is a little hum, but I think it is nice and there is nothing that dresses a TJ up more than an aggressive tread. Of course, some are more concerned about tire life. If that's the case an AT might be the best option. However, one tire guy I know has over 60,000 miles on his Cooper STT Pro's (35x12.5 on a half ton pickup)

Reactions: TJ's-TJ and KCsTJ