Going from hard top to soft top

sa1126

TJ Enthusiast
I am considering buying a soft top to be able to take it down by myself when fall is here. My jeep has never had a soft top — are there any brackets or hardware I will need?

You will need a soft top frame unless you go frameless then you needs other stuff that may or maynot come with the top.

But you can get any number of bikini tops all kinds of stuff. I take my back window and side windows off but leave the top on cause.....i burn easy,

Reactions: sa1126
I havent had time to do anything but i plan on buying a mesh tarp from Mernards and making a full length channel to tailgate top.

You will need to buy the complete kit which can work out quite expensive, If you get the trek top you will only need the door surrounds, tailgate bar and tailgate bar brackets but it wont fold down like a frame top.

Your best bet is to look for an oem soft top and all hardware. Post a wtb ad too. Check offerup and craigslist. The originals were made by bestop. New ones cost alot. If your going to buy one. Buy bestop new or oem bestop.

Other tops are alot cheaper. But alot less quality. It would work for a couple years if u just want to try soft tops out. Those brands are rampage, pavement ends, sierra, rugged ridge etc.

Lastly, check your build sheet. If it didnt come with a soft top from the factory u may need a few more bits and pieces that usually come from the factory. It is possible for a Jeep to come with a hard and soft too. Just fyi.

I just went through switching over a few months ago and did a ton of research before doing so.

Make sure you consider what soft top is right for you. I really strongly considered going with the Trektop NX but ultimately went with an OEM because I really don't care for having the sunrider feature, I like to be completely topless.

I scoured the FB marketplace for a few weeks until I found one that worked for me. At the time it seemed like the going rate for OEM tops was about $200-$500 depending on condition, so comparable in price to a Rampage or Pavement Ends. I decided to go this route, and even though my top is not in the best condition, I got the frame and all the hardware for less than half of what a new Bestop set would cost. I figure I'll run the crappy top for a while (I keep it down 99% of the time anyway) and when I get sick of it then I can just buy a Bestop replacement and have saved a ton of money over buying the complete kit brand new. If you want to put together all the hardware you need from Bestop it's going to be well over a grand.

The main parts you will need are:
Windshield Header Assembly
Bow Assembly
Sport Bar Bow Bracket (You may already have these installed)
Door Surrounds
Tailgate Bar (you may already have the brackets installed for this, if not you can order the bar+brackets combo)
Bow Knuckles (even if you find a top with all 4, do yourself a favor and buy a set of the quick release ones)