Going in for Frame Repair Surgery today...

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
The time has come for me to realize just how bad my frame rust is and take advantage of being in town with my folks who have a hydraulic lift and a MIG welder. They have said if I buy the Safe-T-Caps, they will do the job with me. So how could anyone in that position not follow through with that...

I am doing the Center Frame at Skid Plate sections, and the Rear Trail Arm sections on both sides. So 4 pieces all together. Some sections are worse and some aren't that bad but i'm just going to do the whole job and get rid of the rusty sections that are probably deteriorating on the inside just as bad if not worse.

I'll post some of the horribly disgusting rusty stuff later as well as the nice new frame sections after the installation. Should be a pretty good day, i'm excited to get this done before I move again.

Here's one pic to hold the thread over.
IMG_6699.JPG

Holy smokes that rust is bad. Have you considered possibly just finding a new frame that is rust free? I've seen them for several thousand I believe.

Looking forward to seeing photos either way!

Alright, its done! As far as i'm concerned its 10 times better than when I got the Jeep and all my rusty frame worries are gone!

IMG_6700.JPG

IMG_6702.JPG

IMG_6705.JPG

IMG_6708.JPG

IMG_6711.JPG

IMG_6713.JPG

IMG_6715.JPG

IMG_6716.JPG

IMG_6717.JPG

Cut, grind, weld, undercoat.
These pieces fit so nicely it was crazy. Soo glad to have this done! Gave my Jeep new life.

Have you considered possibly just finding a new frame that is rust free?
I have, I just don't have the funds at the moment, so I did the next best thing. Plus I saved so much money doing this in the family with help, the cost wasn't even that bad. All my frame rust is gone, the rest of everything under there isn't that bad at all, just those sections of the frame were shot.

I have, I just don't have the funds at the moment, so I did the next best thing. Plus I saved so much money doing this in the family with help, the cost wasn't even that bad. All my frame rust is gone, the rest of everything under there isn't that bad at all, just those sections of the frame were shot.

Oh, I didn't realize you'd already completed the frame repair. I thought you were doing it as we speak. I look forward to seeing all the photos!

EDIT: Wow, just saw you updated the original post with photos. It looks much better now, congrats!

Don't you wish they had galvanized these frames or treated them in some way from the factory? I wonder if JKs have the same frame rust issues as TJs.

Reactions: EJD
Don't you wish they had galvanized these frames or treated them in some way from the factory? I wonder if JKs have the same frame rust issues as TJs.
I know man, there are just a couple design flaws with the frame but if you stay on top of things, you may have a good chance of keeping everything nice. I would so love to have a new frame and LineX the crap out of it, lol.

I'de be curious to know if JK has anything else going on or if they have similar issues when they come of age.

Reactions: Chris
Everything made from steel will rust eventually, even galvanized. If it can trap dirt and water doesn't have a way to drain, that water will just sit there and work at the steel.

@Chris You'd HATE a galvanized frame too...once galvanzied, you can't paint it or weld it, so you'd have that awful silver/gray look all the time.

Imagine this under your jeep all the time....They hot dip galvanize boat trailers designed for salt water usage. I think its hideous. Yes, its more resistant to rust, but eventually the zinc will corrode away (its sacrificial) and you'll have rust again.

galvanized-trailer-560px.jpg

Everything made from steel will rust eventually, even galvanized. If it can trap dirt and water doesn't have a way to drain, that water will just sit there and work at the steel.

@Chris You'd HATE a galvanized frame too...once galvanzied, you can't paint it or weld it, so you'd have that awful silver/gray look all the time.

Imagine this under your jeep all the time....They hot dip galvanize boat trailers designed for salt water usage. I think its hideous. Yes, its more resistant to rust, but eventually the zinc will corrode away (its sacrificial) and you'll have rust again.

View attachment 24315

I didn't realize that about galvanized... Wow, I would hate that.

So then why is it Jeep frames are more prone to rusting than other vehicles? Is it due to the fact that they seem to trap water and crap inside of them with no really good way to drain them?

I didn't realize that about galvanized... Wow, I would hate that.

So then why is it Jeep frames are more prone to rusting than other vehicles? Is it due to the fact that they seem to trap water and crap inside of them with no really good way to drain them?

Design of the frame is a big part. Probably has some to do with typical usage as well. Most cars aren't going out in the mud to get dirt all over. Could also be the type of steel they use. Some steels are more reactive than others. Lots of reasons...

Reactions: Chris
Design of the frame is a big part. Probably has some to do with typical usage as well. Most cars aren't going out in the mud to get dirt all over. Could also be the type of steel they use. Some steels are more reactive than others. Lots of reasons...

Good point. I suspect that your average BMW (or other passenger vehicle) isn't dealing with the amount of rust as our Wranglers, because they aren't off-road driving through mud, getting stuff stuck inside the frame where it just sits there.

I used to know a guy who was really smart with metals, and he told me that all metal wants to return to it's original form. So it doesn't matter whether it's stainless steel or what... It will all rust eventually.