Golen Stroker Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Cot

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Here's one that doesn't pop up on CL too often. . . if ever. If this was a 2000-2006 TJ block you'd be reading about this engine in my build thread. :p

Lansing MI Craigslist Link

C&P from CL AD:

I had Golen engines build a 4.6 liter stroker for my 97-99 Jeep TJ. Circumstances changed and I am not able to use it.
I added an MSD ignition coil, (Jeep specific) high flow water pump, 97 intake manifold, powder coated fuel injector rail, new hi flow injectors, all new sensors at every point.
I have over $8000 into it, looking to get $6000 out of it.
I have the spec sheet for the engine for anyone who wants specific details of the engine build

00000_dyh6N6hEJuV_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_hQ68U0n0uRa_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_axEfMnQSW4a_1200x900.jpg

00a0a_kTMVl085ycY_1200x900.jpg

01313_2YbaXC2r8l8_1200x900.jpg

01111_dQ9LXUlDNU5_1200x900.jpg

I had Golen engines build a 4.6 liter stroker for my 97-99 Jeep TJ. Circumstances changed and I am not able to use it.
I added an MSD ignition coil, (Jeep specific) high flow water pump, 97 intake manifold, powder coated fuel injector rail, new hi flow injectors, all new sensors at every point.
I have over $8000 into it, looking to get $6000 out of it.
I have the spec sheet for the engine for anyone who wants specific details of the engine build.

Damn, nice find!
Wow...Its an hour away from me...but alas, I have an 04.

I think it would still work, wouldn't it? 97-98 had the distributor I believe, but 99 changed to coil packs (I think).

Either way, that's a damn nice find!

Damn, nice find!

I think it would still work, wouldn't it? 97-98 had the distributor I believe, but 99 changed to coil packs (I think).

Either way, that's a damn nice find!
Different head. I don't see the casting bosses for the coil rail. Besides, I'm not going to pony up 6K on an engine that I can't hear run, just because some nut on Craigslist says its new! I'd build a stroker before I bought one, unless its one that needs a rebuild. Too much that can be wrong and that you won't know until its already in the Jeep and ready to go.

Different head. I don't see the casting bosses for the coil rail. Besides, I'm not going to pony up 6K on an engine that I can't hear run, just because some nut on Craigslist says its new! I'd build a stroker before I bought one, unless its one that needs a rebuild. Too much that can be wrong and that you won't know until its already in the Jeep and ready to go.

Makes sense. I didn't even think to look for the casting bosses.

And yes, that is way too much money. For that money you're getting very close to a 5.3 LS swap which could be done right for around 8-10k from what I found.

That's tempting. Have you looked into what it'd take to use for other years?

No I haven't, at least not seriously researched the subject. At this time, I'm not willing to franken-mod my electrical system & PCM to make it work.

Reactions: Chris
I talked to Golen Engines and they said everything will need to be changed to make it work on my 2004. In the future, I may go with their engines purely due to their customer service. They didn't care if I bought one of theirs, or used, or even found one in a junkyard. The guy I talked to just wanted me to have something that worked good for me.

The 99 still has a single ignition coil. That engine needs at least a 62 mm throttle body, cool air intake, header and a 4 core radiator with a 180 thermostat. It won't otherwise overheat, but it will run hot enough to thin the oil and lower oil pressure. Also, what was done to the head and which camshaft does it have? Mine had to have Chevy 1.50 and 1.94 valves with a much heavier spring to accommodate a mildly aggressive Comp cam. The ECM can handle the changes as long as you keep the restrictive exhaust and don't mind the 4,200 rpm rev limiter to go with a 6,000 rpm red line.

Status
Not open for further replies.