Good deal or?

Deal or no deal?

• Total voters

Stan

I am "green" in other words to this Jeep scene. Started doing online research about 3 months ago and yesterday I bought a jeep I felt like I couldn't pass up. I wanted an untouched and pretty much stock Jeep and to do the build myself and learn over time. Ended up doing the complete opposite and bought a built TJ. I bought it from a buddy I have worked with for years so I know pretty much the whole history of the vehicle ( the good the bad and the ugly) and I felt comfortable purchasing it already built with knowing very little. I'm curious on others opinions on 1. If I got a good deal and 2. What I should replace, add or watch out for. Like I said I'm very new to all of this. Thanks.

The Details
-2002 TJ 4.0L
-Not an inch of rust on undercarriage
-123,000 miles
-5 speed Standard
-Purchased for 7k
-35in KM2's at 60% life
-15in Crager beadlock rims
-Tom Woods front and rear driveshafts
-slip yoke eliminator
-4.56 differential, front and rear
-Spartan Lunchbox locker in the rear
-Dana 44 rear axle
-Rough Country 6in long arm lift kit
-smittybuilt stinger front bumper and 8500lbs winch
-XRC rear bumper and tire carrier
-all disc brakes
-Quick disconnect sway bars
-All new steering components with a Ford Explorer steering box
-Brand new optimum battery
-brand new soft top

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

Last edited:
What did you pay for it?

Aside from RC being a crappy quality of lifts, I think it looks awesome, and it sounds like you got a sweet deal, especially since it's rust free!!!

What did you pay for it?

Aside from RC being a crappy quality of lifts, I think it looks awesome, and it sounds like you got a sweet deal, especially since it's rust free!!!
I purchased it for 7,000. He wanted 10,000 but there were a few personal circumstances that seemed to bring him down on price. What lift/suspension kit do you recommend?? And yes the rust free was an obvious plus.

I purchased it for 7,000. He wanted 10,000 but there were a few personal circumstances that seemed to bring him down on price. What lift/suspension kit do you recommend?? And yes the rust free was an obvious plus.

Well damn, that's a smoking deal!!!

I think if you ask around you'll get the general consensus that for 4" plus lifts, the best two are Currie and Metalcloak (I run the former). They are also the most expensive, but there's a reason for that!

Reactions: Stan
IMHO I think you got a great deal for $7000 if it's as clean as you say it is (i.e., Rust). The 4.56 gears, what look to be upgraded HD tie rod & drag link, rear disc conversion, Tom Woods driveshafts, would have set you back $1000 if you could do the work yourself. Like @Chris said, you won't find many fans of RC lifts among the people that truly know what they're doing but, if you like the way it rides right now enjoy it. Take the $3000 you saved and, once you start getting more experienced, apply that to a much nicer setup.

I agree. Save up for a nicer lift (you'll immediately see the difference if you put a nice lift like a Currie on there), but for now, don't stress over it. You got a damn good deal any way you look at it.

You should be very happy with your purchase! Knowing you paid $7k, I would buy it from you for $10k, yeah, you got a great deal! No rush, but yes, replace the lift eventually, and before replacing the springs, consider coilovers. You just bought yourself a highly capable rig, it just depends how far you want to go with it. Happy Jeeping! Try not to go bankrupt.

I think you could improve the lift. I have a friend that installed a Skycrapper long arm. Rubber went bad so he used Curry joints and has made a pretty decent lift out f it. I have never crawled up under any of the Rough Country equipped jeeps here to see if it something I would consider or try.

You should be very happy with your purchase! Knowing you paid $7k, I would buy it from you for $10k, yeah, you got a great deal! No rush, but yes, replace the lift eventually, and before replacing the springs, consider coilovers. You just bought yourself a highly capable rig, it just depends how far you want to go with it. Happy Jeeping! Try not to go bankrupt.

That's good to know. I felt the same way but didn't know if I was being blind to something because I wanted the jeep.
Now what are the positives to coil overs?

I think you could improve the lift. I have a friend that installed a Skycrapper long arm. Rubber went bad so he used Curry joints and has made a pretty decent lift out f it. I have never crawled up under any of the Rough Country equipped jeeps here to see if it something I would consider or try.
Yeah the lift definitely needs attention. The guy I bought it from installed it but never really payed attention to it unless something went wrong.

Great deal.
Run it until it breaks or you can't stand the ride then fix or adjust to your satisfaction.

Remember build it for what you want to do with it and resist the urge to slap crap at it because it looks good or some magazine add said it improves performance and gives better mileage.:emoji_money_mouth:

That's good to know. I felt the same way but didn't know if I was being blind to something because I wanted the jeep.
Now what are the positives to coil overs?

Though they are not cheap, in combination with the long arm lift the ride will be like gliding on water, bumps are absorbed and overcome much more efficiently, not to mention the ability to select how much up and down travel you can have within the limits of the coilovers. It's worth looking up, just search coilover videos, pretty amazing stuff.

P >><:
I am "green" in other words to this Jeep scene. Started doing online research about 3 months ago and yesterday I bought a jeep I felt like I couldn't pass up. I wanted an untouched and pretty much stock Jeep and to do the build myself and learn over time. Ended up doing the complete opposite and bought a built TJ. I bought it from a buddy I have worked with for years so I know pretty much the whole history of the vehicle ( the good the bad and the ugly) and I felt comfortable purchasing it already built with knowing very little. I'm curious on others opinions on 1. If I got a good deal and 2. What I should replace, add or watch out for. Like I said I'm very new to all of this. Thanks.

The Details
-2002 TJ 4.0L
-Not an inch of rust on undercarriage
-123,000 miles
-5 speed Standard
-Purchased for 7k
-35in KM2's at 60% life
-15in Crager beadlock rims
-Tom Woods front and rear driveshafts
-slip yoke eliminator
-4.56 differential, front and rear
-Spartan Lunchbox locker in the rear
-Dana 44 rear axle
-Rough Country 6in long arm lift kit
-smittybuilt stinger front bumper and 8500lbs winch
-XRC rear bumper and tire carrier
-all disc brakes
-Quick disconnect sway bars
-All new steering components with a Ford Explorer steering box
-Brand new optimum battery
-brand new soft top

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

30% DISCOUNT ONE DAY ONLY ....... amazing deal if you ask me.. love the dark blue with tan interior too.
All that's missing a free set of steak knives haha