Good Evening Ranch, Summersville WV

gasiorv

I'm a new world samurai, and a redneck nonetheless
Supporting Member
Didn't get many pics, so this is more of a Park review for others than it is a Wheeling Trip pics.

Had to go to a wedding in Pittsburgh, so I decided to hit Good Evening Ranch in Summersville WV on the way. Spent the day wheeling with my friend Scott.
Good Evening Ranch

We hit every red trail (Red = Difficult) and it was a lot of fun. Terrain was rocky, mostly boulders and large flat rocks, which sometimes had good traction and sometimes did not, it was weird. The rocks were definitely rough enough to tear up the tires and to leave rubber on the rock, but sometimes it was still just slick as ice even though you were leaving rubber on the rocks (even walking on the rock was like walking on ice). In between the rocks the soil was soft and loose and the tires dug deep very quickly which would result in loss of ground clearance quickly if you did not make the obstacle. Where as on clay, which is very slick, you don’t typically dig deep because it is so slick you just spin, thus you can “bump” with clay and use momentum as long as your metal parts are clear. Well with this loose soil once you dig and sink, you now can’t bump because you are hitting metal.

I really enjoyed all the red trails, Rubicon, Ice Cream Hill, and Chadalack stick out as very fun. We hit and both made the Can Opener, Scott made the key hole look super easy, but I couldn’t get up over the first set of rocks. I think we both did the Mouse Trap, Leo’s Den, the hallway and the horseshoe. Neither one of us made the squeeze. The stand out trail was Cripple Creek, it was an all rock creek bed that was very tight, very bouldery, and full of traction; It was super fun and my favorite trail at the park! Possibly in top 10 of all time favorite trails (if I had a top 10)!

GER is great place for a day of wheeling, not much more than a day there. Not a park that I would drive far to hit it if you are just planning on wheeling at GER. But if you live within a few hours, if it is on your way (like it was for us), or you plan on hitting some other attractions in the area (area is outdoor adventure mecca with the New River for Rafting and Rock Climbing, Sommersville Lake for boating ) then it would be worth the trip.

Here is Scott hitting the Can Opener, I went through first and struggled with clearance but eventually made it, Scott walked right through with his 42's and 109" wheelbase.

Here is only picture I got. Picking my way through the rocks at night, I had to stop and get out to take a look at which line I was going to take next and thought the lights looked cool. Picture doesn't really do it much justice, looked much better in person. This does show the rocks/boulders in the area though.
GER night.jpg

Summersville is my hometown. There are a lot of similar areas like that around there (that aren’t off-road parks) that me and my dad used to go bird hunting in.