Good M/T tires for driving to trail only

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT. They can do highways, yet proven on trails. Luv mine since install.

I considered the Maxxis Razr MT too, but the Mickey's had a rebate I couldn't pass up.

I have had a set of these for about a year, I too am happy with them.
They balanced out very well, good manners on the road and do their work in the slop. If I had to list a con it would be, they do like higher RPM to clean them out.
Unclear which tires you're referring to... (?)

I like Pro Comp not bad on the road, decent life and claw through some dirt. @John Cooper they jump mall curbs pretty darn good to🤘
1638107490933.png

Do most people just chose based on whatever is on sale, or is there something that will set one apart for you?
Size is becoming a determining factor along with availability. Depending on how long you can wait for new tires, your options might be rather limited.

I'll throw in my vote for BFG KM3s. They do very well in mud and rocks and have great road manners.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Thanks for the replies. Looks like the Goodyear M/TR’s get a lot of love. These hadn’t been on my radar. I’ll look into them for sure.
Where do you wheel? MTRs do not like clay type soil like we have in the south. They can't clean it out effectively.

They do okay at Windrock, since the soil is more sandy there. But most of the other TN parks they don't work well.

Reactions: John Cooper
Cooper STT Pros are still at the top of my list. I’ve also run GY MTR w Kevlar, Maxxis Razr, and BFG KM3
I've got these on my 2500hd daily. I've put about 10k miles and have already needed a rebalance, and likely needing another shortly. Man, do they howl on the highway.

I've got these on my 2500hd daily. I've put about 10k miles and have already needed a rebalance, and likely needing another shortly. Man, do they howl on the highway.
They were quiet on my TJ, but the TJ is much lighter, and the load c rating, not load e. They are actually a hybrid tire, not even a mt. The Razr’s are way louder from day 1. I ran the STT Pros for 26,000 miles and they only got a little louder at the very end. My KM3’s are louder also. I think probably just not an apples to apples comparison on those two different vehicles

Reactions: 72afr
Where do you wheel? MTRs do not like clay type soil like we have in the south. They can't clean it out effectively.

They do okay at Windrock, since the soil is more sandy there. But most of the other TN parks they don't work well.
Mostly LBL (including Turkey Bay) and Windrock. LBL has a lot of unavoidable mud holes but they are mostly just standing water and not mud, so much.
Do you think I would do better with a hybrid or an a/t around here? I’m pretty new to wheeling, so any experience is appreciated.
I love Windrock and prefer that type of wheeling. But the guys I ride with think of themselves as “overlanders” so we spend a lot of time in the public lands of LBL.

Mostly LBL (including Turkey Bay) and Windrock. LBL has a lot of unavoidable mud holes but they are mostly just standing water and not mud, so much.
Do you think I would do better with a hybrid or an a/t around here? I’m pretty new to wheeling, so any experience is appreciated.
I love Windrock and prefer that type of wheeling. But the guys I ride with think of themselves as “overlanders” so we spend a lot of time in the public lands of LBL.
All terrains are kinda useless IMO if you do actual wheeling. Look at it this way, your skills are only going to improve from where you currently are and you will probably want to venture out more. An AT will limit you. A good MT like a Maxxis razr, nitro trail grappler, etc will give you a lot more traction and allow you to progress your skills and grow.

At Windrock you'll do fine with a MTR, KM3, or similar. The mud there is not very sticky and doesn't seem to pack into the tread voids. I would stick with a mud tire and not all terrain though.

Places like AOP and The Cove will be another story.

Interco tires like the Super Swampers are on back order just about everywhere in the US currently for the common and some uncommon sizes.