Goodyear Duratracs: Good, bad, or just okay?

As an All Season, the DTs are a great tire, comparable to many others like the KOs. But compared to a "Winter Tire" DTs are a summer tire. Winter, Snow grip is all about multiple small snipes which pack with snow and stick to snow on the ground like a snowball. And throw that snow to pack with fresh snow every revolution. The last thing a winter tire should do is spin, traction is all about snow sticking to snow.

Reactions: StG58
Since we live in the same weather I value your opinion in my choice on new tires + your experience with them. Quick question, what about KO2s? I’ve heard they are very very close to duratracs im just split between the two. Any experience/knowledge on those?

Last edited:
KOs, DTs perform equal. Personal preference. Best buy. Local retailer. Lots of reasons to choose but they are twins based on performance.

Even milage life tends to be equal.

It's like comparing a black TJR to a white TJR.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
KOs, DTs perform equal. Personal preference. Best buy. Local retailer. Lots of reasons to choose but they are twins based on performance.

Even milage life tends to be equal.

It's like comparing a black TJR to a white TJR.

Thank you! I’ve been running KM2s for as long as I’ve had my Jeep and really like them - just wanting to go to an all terrain as opposed to Mud based on the amount of street driving I do as well!

Since we live in the same weather I value your opinion in my choice on new tires + your experience with them. Quick question, what about KO2s? I’ve heard they are very very close to duratracs im just split between the two. Any experience/knowledge on those?

I haven't run KO2s. I currently have a set of KM2s on my khaki Jeep and will be switching to Duratracs that I have in my garage as soon as I have rims to put them on.

The Duratracs work well in nearly every climate and terrain I've had them in and in the winter have never left me wanting anything different so I have no desire to try a set of KO2s. However, for some specific terrain, you will find a better tire.

@Chris lives in Oregon as well and swears by Duratracs. I have them and got no complaints so far, but I don’t see any snow either. Lots of folks down here run KO2s and everyone I know with them have been happy. Haven’t had a set yet but figure I’ll give them a shot for my next go-around.

As for AT tires it’s between those two at the top really. You can’t go wrong with either, they’ll both perform admirably all around.

@Chris lives in Oregon as well and swears by Duratracs. I have them and got no complaints so far, but I don’t see any snow either. Lots of folks down here run KO2s and everyone I know with them have been happy. Haven’t had a set yet but figure I’ll give them a shot for my next go-around.

As for AT tires it’s between those two at the top really. You can’t go wrong with either, they’ll both perform admirably all around.

Duratracs are friggin' AMAZING in the snow, no joke. I can't comment on the deep powder, but on the packed snow you find on all the roads through the mountain passes, they perform exceptionally well.

I'm a huge Duratrac fan through-and-through.

I can’t find these tires in a 35x12.5x15. What is the recommendation for that size if these aren’t available.

I’m guessing these are my best option.

D9AFC0E0-4383-443E-8D41-B92DC4B75B73.jpeg

Reactions: Starrs
Duratracs are friggin' AMAZING in the snow, no joke. I can't comment on the deep powder, but on the packed snow you find on all the roads through the mountain passes, they perform exceptionally well.

I'm a huge Duratrac fan through-and-through.
I wouldn't call them amazing like a dedicated Blizzak snow tire is amazing. But they are darn good for an AT at least through the first half of the tread. A buddy of mine ran them on his DD TJ with gawd only knows how many trips to the ski hill each year and really liked them. That was enough for me and I put a set on my truck. Think they are on their third winter now and even though they have plenty of tread they arent as stable on the compacted snow as they once were. Come summer it will be time to do the 50% tread left sale to a broke kid and buy a new set of Duratracs. :)

I wouldn't call them amazing like a dedicated Blizzak snow tire is amazing. But they are darn good for an AT at least through the first half of the tread. A buddy of mine ran them on his DD TJ with gawd only knows how many trips to the ski hill each year and really liked them. That was enough for me and I put a set on my truck. Think they are on their third winter now and even though they have plenty of tread they arent as stable on the compacted snow as they once were. Come summer it will be time to do the 50% tread left sale to a broke kid and buy a new set of Duratracs. :)

Well yeah, that goes without saying though. Nothing is going to be as good as a dedicated snow tire like a Blizzak. However, I (among many others) have been seriously impressed with how well the Duratrac performs in the snow. I was pretty blown away the first time I took them in the snow on a long drive through the mountain passes.

Anyways, in my opinion, the Duratrac is an excellent all-around tire for our Jeeps. Sure, you can always buy a dedicated mud terrain, a dedicated snow tire, etc. But for a tire that does a little bit of everything, and does it exceptionally well, the Duratrac is my tire of choice!

I put almost 40K miles on the Duratracs I had on my XJ and was very happy with them, they did well in nearly all aspects and endured a lot of abuse - until one didn't. My daughter was driving the XJ, following me on a run through Monticello Canyon in New Mexico and everything was going fine until we were on the way home. Without notice at 45 MPH on a gravel road the entire sidewall blew out. Megan did a fantastic job of steering through the blowout, getting the XJ stopped without further drama, but I was surprised at how bad the damage was. We had been aired down during the trail run but had aired back up (to about 28 PSI, that was the sweet spot for that tire). She wouldn't even let me help her change the tire, saying "You taught me how to do it, now it's my job". She's a good kid...

View attachment 77382
Good kid indeed! Give her a high five from the TJ forum!✋

I ran General Grabber AT2 (Very similar to a KO2) on my last truck and I'm running Duratracs on my new truck. I gotta say, the Grabbers were good, the Duratracs are better (in the snow). They feel more planted on dry pavement too. I'll probably buy another set when these are gone. Might even put them on the Jeep...though I don't daily drive it, so MT's are a decent option for me too.

Not on my LJ but on my old Ford Ranger '01 that I sold to get the Jeep, I ran DT and then a set of KO2's.

For Oregon weather both were amazing tires and perfect mix of road use on my DD / weekend mountain snow / mud runs. (The Ranger was stock so never did anything crazy.)

If I wasn't doing much in the mud and rocks, I'd buy the DT over KO2. (I'd say they performed better on snowy roads and rain. Also had less road noise)

If I was going to do snow / rain but also see more mud and rocks I'd go with the KO2's. I was very impressed with how well they performed in deeper snow and thicker mud.

Both are great tires and would buy both again. I plan on getting DT's for my Tacoma because its my DD and I want the better traction on rain / snowy roads. For my LJ, I'm not going with either of them, because its a weekend trail ride, so it's going to get MT of sorts.

If I was going to do snow / rain but also see more mud and rocks I'd go with the KO2's. I was very impressed with how well they performed in deeper snow and thicker mud.

I currently have KM2's and have been very impressed with them, even on the road. They are starting to get close the the 50% mark and it was very noticeable this winter. I will be switching to the KO2's at some point and it's good to hear they perform well in snow and mud.

Reactions: DH-Jeep
As an All Season, the DTs are a great tire, comparable to many others like the KOs. But compared to a "Winter Tire" DTs are a summer tire. Winter, Snow grip is all about multiple small snipes which pack with snow and stick to snow on the ground like a snowball. And throw that snow to pack with fresh snow every revolution. The last thing a winter tire should do is spin, traction is all about snow sticking to snow.
True that! You northern lads are lucky though with your drier, stickier snow. Our heavier wetter snow acts more like mud. No snow sticking to snow around here, much. It's thick soup. The DT's work ever so slightly better in that than the KO2's. Not enough to base a decision on though. Thought that might be a good tidbit to share.

Unfortunately, I have not run Duratrac, KO2, and RidgeGrappler all on my Jeep, or even all on the same truck, but for the wet and wet snow of the PNW I'd rank the Duratrac over the KO2s and RidgeGrapplers. I have KO2s on my Jeep now, and Ridgegrapplers on my Silverado 1500, and had Duratracs on both a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Suburban.
The only down side to the Duratracs were that in a LT tire, they love to grab road ruts, and get progressively louder as they wear. I tried the P rated version for a few months, but cut the side wall on rocks and had them replaced with LT.
I am not sure what I'll get when I wear these KO2s out, but it won't be 12.5 wide tires again, and probably be one of these three.