Got a weird A/C issue, suggestions welcome

Tstewart1

So this is consistent no matter the outside temperatures. Can be 60 out or 110 (in arizona) with AC on driving, around about an hour of driving the air coming out of the vents gets worse and worse. The blower motor sounds loud and consistent. Then I park and the ac drains a colossal amount of water. Almost like something gets frozen and clogs the airways and I have to let it thaw for a while. Because after letting it thaw out and drain the airways go back to good air flow. What should I look into?

This happens to me too, not sure as to why it happens its very weird.
Note that I recently noticed this issue about 3 weeks ago.
Check under the hood by the A/C condenser if its frozen like a propane bottle neck when you turn it on thats your problem!

Reactions: Chris
This happens to me too, not sure as to why it happens its very weird.
Note that I recently noticed this issue about 3 weeks ago.
Check under the hood by the A/C condenser if its frozen like a propane bottle neck when you turn it on thats your problem!
Mines been doing it for over a year, normally I just get over it. But this is the 6th driest summer we've had in history and its quite fucking hot I must say.

• Haha
Reactions: Jamison C
I wonder if the low pressure switch isn't working and not shutting off the compressor then your evaporator is icing up.

Does it still feel like it blows a lot of air or is air flow reduced as well?
Well thats what the problem is, the air flow gets worse over time. But the blower motor is definitely working. I have a feeling it isnt. When I bought the jeep alittle over a year ago the ac wasnt wired up. The OP hot wired a switch to bypass the sensors. No idea why. I had a mechanic professionally wire up the system properly back to OEM style. Its worked flawlessly since aside from this one little issue

There is also a switch that should cut off the compressor if the pressure coming out of the evaporator isn't high enough. Yours may not be working or may be bypassed thus icing up your evaporator. The compressor needs to cycle some or it will just turn into a big ball of ice.

Reactions: pagrey
W
There is also a switch that should cut off the compressor if the pressure coming out of the evaporator isn't high enough. Yours may not be working or may be bypassed thus icing up your evaporator. The compressor needs to cycle some or it will just turn into a big ball of ice.
What sensor does this?

I just had it charged last month after replacing the high pressure hose. It read normal on gauges. Mechanic didn't say anything looked out of wack

You need to operate the system until the symptoms you described appear. Then read the gauges.

Reactions: John Scoggins
What sensor does this?

I think you are referring to the low pressure switch, it cycles the compressor off at 25psi or below and on at 40psi or higher. But before you do anything you need to read the pressures (high and low) to find out what is going on it will also help to get an A/C thermometer to read the temperature of the air coming out of the center vents.
It does sound like the evaporator is freezing up but the gauges will help figure out why.

Your evap coil is icing up which is typically a sign that the charge is low. You need to get a set of gauges on there to see what your pressures are. In the interim when the airflow decreases turn the AC off for a few minutes with the fan on high until the airflow returns to normal.

Sometimes the evap will freeze if the vehicle has been used a lot in extreme dirt/dust conditions but that's not to common.

Your evap coil is icing up which is typically a sign that the charge is low. You need to get a set of gauges on there to see what your pressures are. In the interim when the airflow decreases turn the AC off for a few minutes with the fan on high until the airflow returns to normal.

Sometimes the evap will freeze if the vehicle has been used a lot in extreme dirt/dust conditions but that's not to common.
Might be more common than you think in Arizona 😂