Got penetrating oil in drum brakes

EROCK

TJ Enthusiast
Replacing my drum brakes because of an unfortunate over usage of penetrating oil around axle. Basically both drums got doused and the oil got into them. Now overnight they barely hold the jeep on level ground. Any ideas before I buy new pads and drums? I've hit em hard with brake cleaner and ran the E-brake a little while moving. Neither did much. If they are doomed. Is there a better brand of drum brakes to buy or do the box store drums do the job?

No reason to replace the drums if they are in the proper condition and clean but the brake shoes should be replaced with a reputable brand.

I got engine oil all over some brakes one time....cleaned up with brakecleaner then soap and water. Dried with air and all was good for ever after ! (my story and I'm stickin to it)

Reactions: Web98
Before I replaced them I would douse it heavily with chlorinated brake clean (not the tree hugging non chlorinated stuff) and adjust them to almost contact. Next day run it down the road and brake hard a few times from a decent speed. Use caution but your front brakes do most of the work so you will stop. If it's still a no go, screw it, shoes aren't the end of the earth expensive.

Reactions: Blondie70
Replacing my drum brakes because of an unfortunate over usage of penetrating oil around axle. Basically both drums got doused and the oil got into them. Now overnight they barely hold the jeep on level ground. Any ideas before I buy new pads and drums? I've hit em hard with brake cleaner and ran the E-brake a little while moving. Neither did much. If they are doomed. Is there a better brand of drum brakes to buy or do the box store drums do the job?
Go do a bunch of hard stops back to back in some safe place and burn that crap out of there.

I've cleaned up many a soaked brake by tossing then on top of a wood stove. Be sure the stove gets extremely good ventilation (out doors) and have the stove running hot.
You will be amazed how much will cook out of the brake material. Just wait until one side quits boiling out fluid, then flip the brake and wait for that side to cook out. You will have to flip back and forth several times until both sides heated up will no longer emit any fluid. Let them cool down for an hour or two and you are ready to put them back on. Easy job, probably not OSHA approved.

Reactions: Blondie70
Took the wheels off and opened em up. Cleaned them with dish soap and the hose. They work like new. Thanks for the dish soap and water suggestion. E

Reactions: Chris