Got tagged in the parking lot today

Got the jeep back today. Body shop did a damn good job! They even took my rental and said they'll return it
Zero dollars out of my pocket. Shop manager said they balked a little at the price (which was very reasonable) and then paid up quick. I'm actually thinking if switching to State Farm after being treated so well. I'll have to see how their prices stack up to USAA.
Body man said the "Sport" decks are discontinued and he can't source them but has a place that can scan the old one and print a decal. I just need to swing by.
Final cost was about $3800 total.

Good luck with State Farm - they tried to total my car...

So, let's say you're not in your Jeep, but you're in your original Shelby Cobra with Shelby's actual shit stain on the driver's seat and the dopey bastard backs his Grand Caravan into it.
You have the right to be made whole. It may mean finding Shelby's grandson and having him drop a deuce on a new seat.
The cost is theirs to bear. Often, people cave when some beuracrat trys to tell them their sweet car isn't worth what they think.
My answer to that is, "fuck you."
You are telling me what I would sell you my shit for. You are fulfilling your contractual obligation to assume the risk for your client. Bad decision on your part but not my problem unless you decide to measure weenies in court.
I hate to resort to the court system but thats what its there for.
If I'm right and you push it to court you're gonna lose twice.
What has worked well for me is not to try to get a lawyer to take my case, but to pay him up front for two hours of his ti m e and consult on specific statutes pertinent to the case.
For insurance, the value of everything is negotiable but only to a point, then I drop it in a judges lap.
Before dopey dude hit me, I decided what my jeep was worth. I didn't agree to a discount because there was a careless driver that YOU assumed the risk for.
Sorry about the rant. It's not directed at anybody here. I've just always had a strong reaction to being fucked over by a multi billion dollar company just because most people fold.
I have had good luck looking at a bean counter and saying, "I disagree with your assessment. I intend to make this as expensive as possible if you can't be reasonable."

Most insurance companies offer a separate "rider" policy specifically for specialized, custom, or classic autos. If you don't have that extra coverage they will most likely treat it as an average daily driver and pay you out accordingly (or possible total loss in this case). It's kinda like firearms or jewelry. You have to take out a special rider policy listing each item and it's value, with photos.

Most insurance companies offer a separate "rider" policy specifically for specialized, custom, or classic autos. If you don't have that extra coverage they will most likely treat it as an average daily driver and pay you out accordingly (or possible total loss in this case). It's kinda like firearms or jewelry. You have to take out a special rider policy listing each item and it's value, with photos.

Yes, for items covered by YOUR insurance policy.
When another person is at fault you don't have to accept a stock payout for your non-stock vehicle.
The right to be made whole remains and you can easily prevail in court.
Most people simply don't bother because it seems like too much hassle. I'm not one of those people.

When another person is at fault you don't have to accept a stock payout for your non-stock vehicle.
Most people simply don't bother because it seems like too much hassle. I'm not one of those people.

All the more reason to keep good records of mods and costs.

I’d meed a hand truck to haul all my records into court….

🙂

The problem is no lawyer will even talk to you about a case like this. No injury, no case.

The problem is no lawyer will even talk to you about a case like this. No injury, no case.

Yeah, there is that. My divorce lawyer is now a very good friend, so I can run stuff by him.
I pay him or trade mechanic work for his time.
Finding a competent junior lawyer trying to fill out his billable hours is usually your best bet.

Guys, going to court and presenting your case for this scenario is not a rocket science.
Facts and evidence, you had it and now you don't as a result of this or that. Its not a criminal case, not a multi million dollar case, and definitely not an unbeatable large city parking ticket system equivalent to a Indiana Jones maze of kafkaesque proportions.

Guys, going to court and presenting your case for this scenario is not a rocket science.
Facts and evidence, you had it and now you don't as a result of this or that. Its not a criminal case, not a multi million dollar case, and definitely not an unbeatable large city parking ticket system equivalent to a Indiana Jones maze of kafkaesque proportions.

Its rocket science to me. I wouldn't even know where/how to start.

Reactions: BlueC
Have you guys ever thought about how the insurance industry is nothing but money up front.

I’m not saying it is completely evil but it is amazing.

If you look at the history of American businesses you will see very few insurance companies fail- most of them will succeed to the point that they have to change their identity or they change their identity by swallowing other companies-

Reactions: John Cooper

See, this is the thing, if you put in the research, which is incredibly easy thanks to AL Gore's amazing internet, you can learn all this stuff.
Plenty of online legal formatting servjces.
A good place to find a hungry junior lawyer is actually at the courthouse on traffic ticket day, better on domestic violence day although most of the decent criminal defense attorneys have full dance cards.
Young lawyers need billable hours to stay on at biggservices.
A dy is right. It's tough to lose money as an insurance company and they try very hard to claw back every dime.

Stated value policies are just that- you tell them what it's worth and that's your max coverage for replacement.

Reactions: sideproject

Zobra, you figured out how to fit into belly dancing scene and make a website dedicated to it, lol i think you can do anything!

So by "start" do you mean like how to file a case?
After such incident you would have all the information you needed about the other person, with that you go to your local court, and it would be you vs the other individual. This is no longer a matter of insurance, that is in the past, they have paid what they are responsible for if their client was at fault, now you would argue for the remainder of what you think is owed to you.
I don't remember specific terminology, it has been some years since i have dragged my previous landlord into a court, but 1st step is to file it with a court. After that case needs to be served to the other party, if they don't know that you are suing them, it will not go anywhere.
Depending on your county rules, judge will likely ask that you two work it out before he has to make it his problem. If not, court will assign your case a date, that is when you two will present and argue for what you believe is right.
If other person was declared at fault, and insurance agreed to pay, you already have most of the work cut out for you. In the case of why insurance refused to pay for "Shelby's actual shit stain on the driver's seat", you will have everything in writing, from that point on is on you to convince the judge that "Shelbys shit stain" worth a gold brick.
In such scenario, likely judge is already on your side, and such cases typically only have to meet the criteria of "reasonable enough". in other words 51% in your favor and 49% in their.

One thing to remember: complete logical statements and facts over feelings. If you come there with nothing but "I think" or "i feel like", don't expect much.

In my case it took me 10 minutes to go over all the facts, another 10 to paint the picture for judge to fully see it, and another 5 for judge to review it.
After about 3 minutes of listening to the landlords "ummm.... ehhhh... i think and i feel like", case was ruled in my favor.

Reactions: Zorba and Mhass
Have you guys ever thought about how the insurance industry is nothing but money up front.

I’m not saying it is completely evil but it is amazing.

If you look at the history of American businesses you will see very few insurance companies fail- most of them will succeed to the point that they have to change their identity or they change their identity by swallowing other companies-

Have you seen how they do it in trucking business?
You pay $10000 upfront, that is your $10000 insurance policy, no joke. After that its a monthly payment to cover fees and some extra.

Overall its a legalized and rebranded racketeering.
Where i from, if owner does not pay "protection" (or call it insurance) fee to local guys, he get his ass beat. And if that does not get the point across, the its his family, then business goes up in flames. Every month there is a major shoot out, new local guys show up, and now there is a new "protection". Sometimes there are two "insurance policies" until local guys figure out it between themself. Either way, pay up or get shut down.
Then i come to US, and i see the same picture: pay for the license to start, and insurance to continue. if not, local guys with badges will show up to teach you a lesson.

Have you seen how they do it in trucking business?
You pay $10000 upfront, that is your $10000 insurance policy, no joke. After that its a monthly payment to cover fees and some extra.

Overall its a legalized and rebranded racketeering.
Where i from, if owner does not pay "protection" (or call it insurance) fee to local guys, he get his ass beat. And if that does not get the point across, the its his family, then business goes up in flames. Every month there is a major shoot out, new local guys show up, and now there is a new "protection". Sometimes there are two "insurance policies" until local guys figure out it between themself. Either way, pay up or get shut down.
Then i come to US, and i see the same picture: pay for the license to start, and insurance to continue. if not, local guys with badges will show up to teach you a lesson.

Yep- Americans just dress nicer during the shakedown.

We had a local lighting enforcement guy- carried a gun. Come on dude.

Americans are really unreal-

We told Saddam Hussein- “you can’t invade a country, kill it’s natives and plunder its’ resources. We know that’s wrong, that’s how we got our country.”

Reactions: John Cooper