Gouged rear main seal bearing

ToddL

TJ Enthusiast
While changing my rear seal, my screwdriver slipped and gouged the bearing. It is deep.
Can I just replace this lower bearing? What brand is recommended for this bearing?
CRAP!!!!!
35C45E7E-19BF-4703-BED3-E248CBF212C1.jpeg

You can’t buy just one half, the tolerances are too tight. You can buy a single bearing (two pieces). I would just cut that high spot off the bearing if it were mine with a hand deburring bit or a sharp knife. Finish with some triple ought steel wool and reinstall it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I personally would not change half of a barring. The thickness would not be the same.

It is my "personal preference" if you are going to change out one change them all.

You can’t buy just one half, the tolerances are too tight. You can buy a single bearing (two pieces). I would just cut that high spot off the bearing if it were mine with a hand deburring bit or a sharp knife. Finish with some triple ought steel wool and reinstall it.

Took your advice and did just that. Not as bad as I first thought. It smoothed out nicely. Thanks for the help.
87C3D110-F7F8-4C77-A3C9-C546B9FD746C.jpeg

Reactions: Daryl
I would take a pencil eraser and a tiny piece of Emory cloth, out the eraser on the tiny piece and spin like trying to start a fire. A small divit won't hurt anything and it being round will keep it from effecting oil pressure

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would take a pencil eraser and a tiny piece of Emory cloth, out the eraser on the tiny piece and spin like trying to start a fire. A small divit won't hurt anything and it being round will keep it from effecting oil pressure

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Ha. That’s exactly what I did. Started with 400 then worked up to 1000. Finished with 0000 steel wool. Great minds....

Mechaniced a nitro funny car many years back. We used the green scotch bright pads to lightly polish the rod and crank bearings if needed. Only rub around the curve, the direction the crank turns, not front to back across. Good luck to you.

Reactions: ToddL